When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noticed in photo of 1938 motorbike!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
AND NOW AFTER LOOKING AT TYLERS ORIGINAL PICTURE CLOSER....BESIDES THE STRAP BACK TANK …..I SEE MORE TELL TALE SIGNS THAT THE BIKE WAS BUILT AS A 1939....AND WHAT IS THE OTHER TELL TALE SIGN??????THE NEW PAINT SCHEME ON THE FRONT FENDER FOR 1939 MODELS...….TYLER FLIP THE BIKE OVER AND TAKE ME A PICTURE OF THE SERIAL NUMBER FOR ME!!!!!

Last edited:
Man, everyone wishes they had original period photos of their collectable bikes like that. That's really special, similar to having the original receipt like this one (not mine:(

View attachment 1158501

View attachment 1158502

View attachment 1158503

December of 1938. Note the front tank strap location that the folklorists will claim was only in 1939 despite the change being noted on an engineering drawing as early as late 37.

And here is what the original owners residence looks like today.

1584681741402.png

I SEE A PICTURE OF TWO 1939S.....ONCE AGAIN GOING BY ORIGINAL SCHWINN CATALOGUES....THE GRAPHIC CHANGE TO THE FRONT FENDER SHOWS UP IN 1939 ALONG WITH THE TANK WITH THE STRAP BACK.....SO AGAIN THERE IS A CERTAIN RULE OF THUMB I GO BY!!!!!

Last edited:

So let's get this straight: Either this citation of the photo has the year all wrong, or the 1939 models were already available in July of 1938?

Or is it possible that once again you are mistaken? That you have been presented with clear examples here that contradict your rule of thumb?

FYI - the bike shown as an equipped Motorbike in the 38 and 39 catalog pages uses the exact same artwork, including the early fender graphics and forward tank strap location. There is some ad copy in 1939 however that does show most of the actual changes eventually implemented on the 1939 model - sliding rail saddle, tank strap relocated, Webb brake lever, etc.

If one can let go of the faulty assumptions that all changes happened only with model year changes, and that those model year changes were directly/closely tied to the calendar year, then things start to make a lot more sense. Otherwise you end up jumping through hoops to try and make your world-view fit an ever-growing amount of examples and evidence that is easily shared via the interwebs. I felt like I got to that place with the prewar serials from late 36 to early 39 (the small tight machine stamped ones) - just too much variability across the model years for them to be anywhere close to sequential (my opinion) and therefore almost meaningless without additional parts/context to date the bike (opinion). But that's a another topic that would be fun to hash out in it's own thread sometime.

YES I COMPLETLY AGREE ….THERE IS CARRY OVER FROM YEAR TO YEAR....BUT THERE IS A CERTAIN WAY MOST MODELS CAME ONCE THEY GOT MORE INTO THAT CERTAIN YEAR!!!!!

AN EXAMPLE ….THAT 1941 BLACK CANTILEVER AUTO-CYCLE YOU HAVE WITH A 1940 TANK....YOU AND I KNOW MOST 1941S DID NOT COMMONLY COME WITH THAT TANK....PARTS CARRYING OVER FROM YEAR TO YEAR....BUT LIKE I SAID ONCE YOU GET MORE INTO PRODUCTION OF A CERTAIN MODEL YEAR THAT SEEMS TO DISSIPATE.

Last edited:
Back