eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

kostnerave

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Oct 29, 2016
Austin, Tx.
Hi Everyone,
Here are some pictures of my latest project, a November 1964 Schwinn Sky Blue Varsity. I believe it to be a '65 build as the front fork is date stamped 2+5, February of 1965. I was first made aware of the bike over a month ago by a fellow Caber, who spotted it on a Craigslist listing. I wasn't interested at first, as the pictures in the ad didn't show much detail, but I kept checking on it to see if it sold. Finally, my curiosity got the best of me and I contacted the seller, at which time I purchased the bike and made arrangements to have it shipped. When I received it, I completely disassembled it and, one piece at a time, refurbished it. It needed brake shoes, tubes, tires, handlebar tape, matching brake levers and cables. Except for the tape, I had everything in my parts stash. I originally bought it as a project to flip, but it turned out much better that I thought it would, so now I'm rethinking it's status.It may become part of my collection. Please enjoy the pictures.

1964 Schwinn Varsity 001.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 003.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 005.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 006.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 011.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 012.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 018.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 019.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 020.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 021.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 023.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 025.JPG

Last edited:

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Wow, that's a clean one! Beautiful, I'd have a real hard time flipping that one. When I was ten I bought myself a new 64 Varsity and had a hard time deciding on what color to get. Went back and forth between Sky Blue and Lime and finally ended up with a Flamboyant Lime. Should have got one of each. lol Did you update the derailleurs, looks like a 66 set?

kostnerave

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Oct 29, 2016
Austin, Tx.
Hi, I bet the Flamboyant Lime caught fire in the sun! I just cleaned up the derailleurs that came on it. I was pretty pleased with the condition of the tags. Since the fork was dated '65, maybe the frame sat awhile before they built it up. Thanks

GTs58

Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Thanks for adding more pictures. That is flat out awesome, it just rolled off the showroom floor. No telling when that was actually built. The date associated to the serial number is the date the number was stamped on the dropout. That dropout must have been at the bottom of the bucket and they kept refilling the bucket before it was finally used to build the frame. With the added pictures I can see now that the rear derailleur is the 65 issue, but i'm wondering why the front derailleur has the Sprint tag that was issued on the 66 and 67 models. It does look nicer than the Sprint engraved cage used in 64 65. I have a pretty nice slightly used 65 Coppertone Tourist but yours is just unbelievable.
1580969734104.png

Reactions: bikerbluz

Eric Amlie

Finally riding a big boys bike
May 9, 2010
Madison, United States
Outstanding condition!
I had the tourist version of this bike('65 model) that I got as a 13 year old. Wish I still had it.
As GTs58 suggests, the frame must have sat for a bit before it was built up.
In addition to the somewhat derailleurs, the brake levers look to be a bit newer also.
The '64, and I think early '65 models had the brake levers with the red button quick release.
Thanks for sharing the photos with us. I'm saving them to drool over.

Tim s

Aug 13, 2012
Elkton, United States
Absolutely gorgeous. That's my favorite Schwinn color. Tim

kostnerave

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Oct 29, 2016
Austin, Tx.
Hi, The bike came to me with mismatched brake levers, one a '70's gold insert version with an extension lever and the other one a non Schwinn unit. I guess the original "button" levers malfunctioned and the owner replaced them.I had these Weinmann levers in my parts stash. If anyone has a good clean set of the "button" levers, I'm interested. Thank you for all of the great response.
Mike

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
Playa del Rey, United States
-----

Thanks so much for posting this beauty! ;)

Cycle brings up a question I would like to ask the Arnie experts.

Notice that machine's gear block is 5V.

Wondering what year they changed the Varsity's block from 4V to 5V?

Thank you.

-----

GTs58

Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
-----

Thanks so much for posting this beauty! ;)

Cycle brings up a question I would like to ask the Arnie experts.

Notice that machine's gear block is 5V.

Wondering what year they changed the Varsity's block from 4V to 5V?

Thank you.

-----
Mid year 1961. Same time the Continental had a complete make over with Huret components and the 5 speed Corvette was intro'd

1581641927762.png

Last edited:

juvela

I live for the CABE
Aug 2, 2014
Playa del Rey, United States
-----

Thanks very much for this information @GTs58!

Greatly appreciated.

---

Mike -

I think the brake calipers are slightly late for the bicycle.

The model 730 of 1964 would still have exhibited the early type marking on the caliper arms where there is no recess for the makings. The later type seen on the bicycle came in about 1968.

Here is a model 730 caliper with the early type marking -

This article on Weinmann products at classiclightweights.co.uk mentions the change in markings -

If you would like to get the period correct markings you could keep an eye out for two old style calipers, doesn't matter if front or back. You could remove the caliper arms and polish them up and mount them on your present new appearing hardware.

-----

kostnerave

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Oct 29, 2016
Austin, Tx.
Hi Juvela, Thank you for the information. The calipers came on the bike as bought and are a perfect match for the calipers on my August '65 Coppertone Varsity Tourist. The Sky Blue Varsity is a very late November build, using many '65 parts. I did find a n.o.s. front Sprint Pat. Pend. derailleur that is now on the bike. Here are a couple of pictures of the Coppertone bike.
Mike

65 Cpooertone Schwinns 014.JPG

65 Cpooertone Schwinns 019.JPG

65 Cpooertone Schwinns 015.JPG

Tim s

Aug 13, 2012
Elkton, United States
Hi Juvela, Thank you for the information. The calipers came on the bike as bought and are a perfect match for the calipers on my August '65 Coppertone Varsity Tourist. The Sky Blue Varsity is a very late November build, using many '65 parts. I did find a n.o.s. front Sprint Pat. Pend. derailleur that is now on the bike. Here are a couple of pictures of the Coppertone bike.
Mike

65 Cpooertone Schwinns 014.JPG

65 Cpooertone Schwinns 019.JPG

65 Cpooertone Schwinns 015.JPG
Another beautiful Varsity in my second favorite Schwinn color. Tim

bikerbluz

Oct 15, 2016
Richmond, IN
Eye popping! That sky blue looks NOS. Beautiful copper tone too!

kostnerave

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Oct 29, 2016
Austin, Tx.
Thank you for all of your nice comments, they are appreciated. The Cabe is a great site because the members actually like bicycles for their history and beauty.

BroCraig

Feb 22, 2020
Louisiana
That's very eye catching. Do not come here with it. You'll leave without it. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goldenrod
This ad goes away when you register for an account!