When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nov.1964 Schwinn Sky Blue Varsity

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kostnerave

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi Everyone,
Here are some pictures of my latest project, a November 1964 Schwinn Sky Blue Varsity. I believe it to be a '65 build as the front fork is date stamped 2+5, February of 1965. I was first made aware of the bike over a month ago by a fellow Caber, who spotted it on a Craigslist listing. I wasn't interested at first, as the pictures in the ad didn't show much detail, but I kept checking on it to see if it sold. Finally, my curiosity got the best of me and I contacted the seller, at which time I purchased the bike and made arrangements to have it shipped. When I received it, I completely disassembled it and, one piece at a time, refurbished it. It needed brake shoes, tubes, tires, handlebar tape, matching brake levers and cables. Except for the tape, I had everything in my parts stash. I originally bought it as a project to flip, but it turned out much better that I thought it would, so now I'm rethinking it's status.It may become part of my collection. Please enjoy the pictures.

1964 Schwinn Varsity 001.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 003.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 005.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 006.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 011.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 012.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 018.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 019.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 020.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 021.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 023.JPG

1964 Schwinn Varsity 025.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, that's a clean one! Beautiful, I'd have a real hard time flipping that one. When I was ten I bought myself a new 64 Varsity and had a hard time deciding on what color to get. Went back and forth between Sky Blue and Lime and finally ended up with a Flamboyant Lime. Should have got one of each. lol Did you update the derailleurs, looks like a 66 set?

Hi, I bet the Flamboyant Lime caught fire in the sun! I just cleaned up the derailleurs that came on it. I was pretty pleased with the condition of the tags. Since the fork was dated '65, maybe the frame sat awhile before they built it up. Thanks

Thanks for adding more pictures. That is flat out awesome, it just rolled off the showroom floor. No telling when that was actually built. The date associated to the serial number is the date the number was stamped on the dropout. That dropout must have been at the bottom of the bucket and they kept refilling the bucket before it was finally used to build the frame. With the added pictures I can see now that the rear derailleur is the 65 issue, but i'm wondering why the front derailleur has the Sprint tag that was issued on the 66 and 67 models. It does look nicer than the Sprint engraved cage used in 64 65. I have a pretty nice slightly used 65 Coppertone Tourist but yours is just unbelievable.
1580969734104.png

Outstanding condition!
I had the tourist version of this bike('65 model) that I got as a 13 year old. Wish I still had it.
As GTs58 suggests, the frame must have sat for a bit before it was built up.
In addition to the somewhat derailleurs, the brake levers look to be a bit newer also.
The '64, and I think early '65 models had the brake levers with the red button quick release.
Thanks for sharing the photos with us. I'm saving them to drool over.

Hi, The bike came to me with mismatched brake levers, one a '70's gold insert version with an extension lever and the other one a non Schwinn unit. I guess the original "button" levers malfunctioned and the owner replaced them.I had these Weinmann levers in my parts stash. If anyone has a good clean set of the "button" levers, I'm interested. Thank you for all of the great response.
Mike

Back