When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nov.1964 Schwinn Sky Blue Varsity

-
-----

Thanks so much for posting this beauty! ;)

Cycle brings up a question I would like to ask the Arnie experts.

Notice that machine's gear block is 5V.

Wondering what year they changed the Varsity's block from 4V to 5V?

Thank you.

-----

-----

Thanks so much for posting this beauty! ;)

Cycle brings up a question I would like to ask the Arnie experts.

Notice that machine's gear block is 5V.

Wondering what year they changed the Varsity's block from 4V to 5V?

Thank you.

-----

Mid year 1961. Same time the Continental had a complete make over with Huret components and the 5 speed Corvette was intro'd

1581641927762.png

Last edited:
-----

Thanks very much for this information @GTs58!

Greatly appreciated.

---

Mike -

I think the brake calipers are slightly late for the bicycle.

The model 730 of 1964 would still have exhibited the early type marking on the caliper arms where there is no recess for the makings. The later type seen on the bicycle came in about 1968.

Here is a model 730 caliper with the early type marking -

This article on Weinmann products at classiclightweights.co.uk mentions the change in markings -

If you would like to get the period correct markings you could keep an eye out for two old style calipers, doesn't matter if front or back. You could remove the caliper arms and polish them up and mount them on your present new appearing hardware.

-----

Hi Juvela, Thank you for the information. The calipers came on the bike as bought and are a perfect match for the calipers on my August '65 Coppertone Varsity Tourist. The Sky Blue Varsity is a very late November build, using many '65 parts. I did find a n.o.s. front Sprint Pat. Pend. derailleur that is now on the bike. Here are a couple of pictures of the Coppertone bike.
Mike

65 Cpooertone Schwinns 014.JPG

65 Cpooertone Schwinns 019.JPG

65 Cpooertone Schwinns 015.JPG

Hi Juvela, Thank you for the information. The calipers came on the bike as bought and are a perfect match for the calipers on my August '65 Coppertone Varsity Tourist. The Sky Blue Varsity is a very late November build, using many '65 parts. I did find a n.o.s. front Sprint Pat. Pend. derailleur that is now on the bike. Here are a couple of pictures of the Coppertone bike.
Mike

View attachment 1139848

View attachment 1139850

View attachment 1139851
Another beautiful Varsity in my second favorite Schwinn color. Tim

Thank you for all of your nice comments, they are appreciated. The Cabe is a great site because the members actually like bicycles for their history and beauty.

That's very eye catching. Do not come here with it. You'll leave without it. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back