When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Number code on kickstand

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Short frame Stingrays (63, 64 and first 3 months of 65) did Not have a number stamped into the kickstand.

Just like the handlebars and stems on the early Stingrays ….. no numbers.
Here are several 64-65 Short Frame chrome kickstands I have without numbers.

68BB66A0-F880-4F11-8ADE-F7EF314B6BBA.jpeg

8FC2554A-AEE3-425E-AAAB-BE81A4786DE0.jpeg

E129AD69-87B9-4123-9C54-BBC1113133A2.jpeg

B1BACE14-0FFF-4AFD-A2AC-26D84698C59A.jpeg

Last edited:
Not many parts were really stamped until the mid/late 60's. Year of manufacture or part numbers on parts was pretty scarce before then. When Schwinn changed the steerer tubes on the forks is when they started marking the stems. In 1960 is when they started marking the cranks with a date again and dated the forks. When they modified the hardware on the kickstands is when the three-digit part numbers on all the sprags appeared. Many don't even pay attention to the markings, and it's funny when they see a part number stamped on a drop out and ask what that's for.

Here is my June 17, 1965 Violet J38 that’s as close to NOS condition as you’ll find.
It still has the white protective plastic cap on the stamped 8339 kickstand.
Wow, a 1965 with the same code numbers as my 1969? I suppose that sequence of numbers was used for several years?

Kickstand trivia.
When replacing a stand for being ugly on a 60's lightweight I found the original had no number.
Delving into it I found some had a four number code and some a three. Asked around, some have none. I save kickstands in good shape, especially the chrome ones. I had several but not the correct one of course.
Turns out the three number style are incremental numbers by length, but not sure about the four number codes meanings.
So I found the perfect one. Same everything, no number etc. It was really nasty at the spring/pin area so I took it off to clean it up for new grease.
The number was under the spring. Took the old one apart and found the same.

Back