When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA b4 and after?

-

flyingtaco

Finally riding a big boys bike
Did I leave it in long enough? It seems like I could have done better around the head tube.

20210606_095012.jpg

20210615_152541.jpg

16237856278809000894499611145860.jpg

I've never done a frame (or any other painted parts) but I've left chrome in the juice for over a week. I've also used it to give the cooling system in my '65 Mercury Comet a minty fresh cleanup. Drain/flush then fill with water/OA. Leave it in there for a week or so while you do your normal driving then drain/flush with water/baking soda mix, drain/flush again, refill and done. That stuff works miracles.

I experimented on a 60's Huffy (?) frame I had, it was solid rust, but not to the point of big pits like yours has, when I was done there was ZERO rust anywhere. unfortunately there was also about only 25% of the red paint left and the rest was just the silver base.

I think maybe the red paint issues people speak of are like mine, candy red with a silver base. I don't think my red 1950 Phantom would lose the paint as the huffy did.

if that were mine I'd give it another try. use more OA and leave it longer. I didn't measure anything I just put the whole container in my kiddie pool when I did it. my Huffy has minimal value even if it was nice. I had it for 50 bucks at a swap meet with no takers before I took it apart to do this... complete rideable rusty bike.

Last edited:
Back