When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA bath how to?????? NEED help

-

Sacket cycle works

Finally riding a big boys bike
Ive read quite a few threads on OA baths and ive seen some pretty impressive before and after photos. Soooo, i am asking for a little advice as i believe i have a great candidate for one.
My main questions:
How do you do this? literally step 1 to completion. I want to do this right and am tired of watching youtube videos that arent related.
Can you use on paint?
How long do you soak?
What do you soak in??
Where can i buy the Oxalic acid?
And what can i expect afterwards?

Below is the bike i plan on doing this bath on. Feel free to give me your opinion on whether i would be wasting my time or not. the bike is complete and seems to have some remnants of paint underneath so i would like to experiment if you would say.
Thanks and any info is appreciated

Dayton.PNG

That looks like a good candidate to me. I just ordered mine from Amazon, although I may need to wait for warmer weather to use it.
Good luck! Shawn

Can you use on paint? Yes
How long do you soak? Generally a few hours will do it but doesn't hurt to stay overnight
What do you soak in?? A kiddie pool works best
Where can i buy the Oxalic acid? Some ACE Hardware stores or Ebay
And what can i expect afterwards? Depending on how much paint and what colors night and day

How do you do this? literally step 1 to completion. I want to do this right and am tired of watching youtube videos that arent related.

Step 1. Wait for warm weather-this stuff works best above 70 degrees. You can always add a couple of pots of boiled water to up the temp.
Step 2. Disassemble the bike completely
Step 3. You can follow the directions on the container but I just dump about a cup full into my kiddie pool-stir well
Step 4. completely submerge parts. If you try to do part and then turn it around to do the other side you may get a line and parts may not come out even.
Step 5. remove parts and rinse thoroughly with soap and water
Step 6. Use compressed air inside frame tubes etc. I like to let parts sit outside in 80 degree or better to bake the moisture out as well.
Step 7. From here it depends on how much paint survives. You may be able to do a light WD40/0000 steel wool thing or some real light polish to bring out more shine but more than likely a good coat of wax to seal things will work. I know some folks like boiled linseed oil but it just looks too greasy to me.

A couple of notes: If you read the threads on this you will see that it may have a tendency to make reds more pink--test a small spot first.
I've found this stuff to be pretty mild but I would still use caution--make sure no critters drink from it and gloves would be recommended although I've put my hands in this stuff with no adverse affects--just wouldn't soak in it. Lastly I just dump it in the yard when I'm through. V/r Shawn

DSC_0028%20(2).jpg

DSC_0681%20-%20Copy.JPG

DSC_0698%20-%20Copy.JPG

I've done a few and had total success with an oa bath. I judge the amount by the surface rust on the bike, and then I put it in a kids pool until till the next morning, then pull everything out hose off wither water then whip it down with wd40. If you put more oa to the bath it does hurt anything.

Thank you guys very much for the responses. I hate feeling like you need guess and fill in the gaps from information found on the internet.
I will be posting before and after photos when it warms up here.

Thank you guys very much for the responses. I hate feeling like you need guess and fill in the gaps from information found on the internet.
I will be posting before and after photos when it warms up here.
Just don't over-think it. I know some people hear the word "acid" and start getting concerned. Hell I've probably drank worse stuff while deployed in some third world sh!thole that was more harmful than OA is. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
If you do not have pool,,, I took 2pcs 1"x6"x 6' boards cut 2' off both made a 2;x4' box.laid 2 sheets of hd plastic over it .. 2 cups of acid stirred it up with an old broom, soaked frame for 4 hrs turned it over 4 more hrs ..sorry no pics... but the results are the same that you see here on the cabe before and after pics....some said red paint turns pink,,,,I wiped mine down with linseed oil and it did brighten up the red and stayed that way,,,,, my box holds the entire bike [disassembled] but not the wheels....If you need the box deeper just block it up higher,,,,,just my way of free lance building and repairing stuff....LOL,,just like ROLLO posted Ebay #5,, $15. delivered is good ,PS I forgot the rubber GLOVES,,,,,,,WEEBOB

Back