When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA bath how to?????? NEED help

-
This is used very much in the antique oil and gas can hobby. If it doesn’t harm fragile lithograph ink graphics, it will not harm bicycle painted surfaces, especially lead based paints. Oxalic acid is very mild.

Does the process damage original decals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope
6 - Copy.JPG

col6.jpg

Thanks Sacket for asking this question so thoroughly and thanks Shawn for your very thorough response. I've got a few good candidates for this too and this gives me confidence to try it. I think a dip in the pool when the weather warms up here will be worth a try.
Jim.

Just don't over-think it....

Well...I was wondering the other evening...

What about heating the item before putting in the bath???? A rusty stem for instance.... Perhaps this will speed the process... Just a thought...Something I am going to check out..

Thanks!

Hey guys. Just an update I went ahead and did the bath on a 65 degree day with some hot water. Below are the results. Either,1 I did not let it soak long enough or 2, the rust had done to much damage to the bike. I will note, when I went to wash off the parts and frame etc. it seems that the pin stripes washed right off afterwards. Anyone have a clue as to what may have caused that? Anyway here's some pics.
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

... I think you did it right ... Looks pretty much on par with other before and after OA bath results that I've seen ....

When you're done, do you put some baking soda in, stir, then pour it down the driveway?

It's not like battery acid, so no need for baking soda. All the residue might stain the driveway so don't try that.

Back