When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA bath question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have a ;late '40s early '50s Schwinn DX that is red. I would like to try an OA bath on it. However I tried it on a different set of fenders and it took the red pigment out and they turned dirty white. I have read where some advise against using OA on red bikes. I also have seen red bikes in OA without any problems. What is the deal are some paints able to and others not? Anyone use a OA bath on a similar red Schwinn with any luck. Thanks for any help and yes I'm sure it has been discussed but searching out the answers is brutal.
Well? Didja do the OA bath on this? If so, good results? I'm thinking about this process on my Shelby that is really rusty looking ( to me anyway )

Well? Didja do the OA bath on this? If so, good results? I'm thinking about this process on my Shelby that is really rusty looking ( to me anyway )
I did not just WD, 0000 SW,polishing compound and a good waxing. second pic is just WD and SW

IMG_1817 (1).jpg

IMG_1819 (1).jpg

It’s amazing how 0000 steel wool and WD40 will clean and polish paint. I did this very same method on my 1946 Rollfast. The red paint was very dark and dull looking dark purplish. The white spears were grungy and yellowish. Compare the paint on the rim right side uncleaned and the left side after cleaning.

After cleaning I wiped everything dry, lightly used some polishing compound then wiped on a light coat of Boiled Linseed Oil and let it cure for a day or two. The BLO protects chromed and painted parts from rust.

It’s been 2-3 years since I treated the bike and there is no rust or dullness anywhere.

Last edited:
What is the deal are some paints able to and others not? Anyone use a OA bath on a similar red Schwinn with any luck. Thanks for any help and yes I'm sure it has been discussed but searching out the answers is brutal.

CBJ, here's my first experiment with OA bath. My 1960 red Corvette. Before and after. Soaked it for like 36 hours. Most importantly it got ALL the rust off the frame. And saved what was left of the paint. My guess, most of the red paint is the red primer. Hope this info/photos helps.

Just dump it in the grass, really, it won't hurt it. Hell, I still dump my drain oil down the sewer in front of my house. There's a nice looking image of a large fish cast into the top of the sewer grate. I don't know what that's all about, but all the grates on our street have them. Mine's the only one on the block that's not all rusty looking. I guess all the oil I've dumped on it over the years has kept it nice looking. That's the kinda guy I am. I like keeping things nice looking. Good luck with your project.
I use to do the exact same thing with oil years ago.. lol

There are two big issues with paint and OA:

(1) That if there is any rust under the paint starting, the OA will attack the rust, but in doing that will undermine the paint, causing it to peel off.

(2) Some paints use iron oxide powder as a coloring agent. This is particular true on some of the reds and browns. The OA can cause the oxide component to wash out, leaving a light red or pink color. The more oxide component and the more oxidation to the paint, the more this will tend to happen. Some red paints are not affected because of their composition, but some will turn pink. The best suggestion is to test on an area not normally visible to see what the effect will be. And the stronger the OA mix, the faster the effect. If in doubt, test and use a weaker mix on paint.

I think the issue with red paint is the candy paints with the silver base. I did a red Huffy (?) a while back just to see what it would do and it removed most of the red leaving the silver base. absolutely zero rust though, this bike would have needed to be sandblasted to get to zero rust.

Reactions: ian
Back