When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OA bath question

-

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
Gonna give my project an OA bath and was wondering if the plastic blue switch on the light will be attacked by the acid. Also will the bath strip off the finish on the fender braces?

It might discolor the fender braces, but they'll clean up. It won't affect the plastic. Why not take the light off? I have soaked lights in OX with no damage to aluminum or copper, other than discolor, but there are better solutions to use.

Thanks Tinker. Removing it from the fender will be a possibility but one of the screws looks to be welded shut from rust. The inside has rust that needs to be removed but don’t want to mess with it cuz it looks frail. I know Evaporust will clean it up so that is another avenue. By the way the light actually works .
Also it’s safe to dump in the grass correct?

Do everything a favor and check with the manufacturer before you dump anything
Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem dumping.

Oxalic acid is an organic compound found in many plants. These include leafy greens, vegetables, fruits, cocoa, nuts and seeds ( 1 ). In plants, it's usually bound to minerals, forming oxalate. The terms “oxalic acid” and “oxalate” are used interchangeably in nutrition science.

Just dump it in the grass, really, it won't hurt it. Hell, I still dump my drain oil down the sewer in front of my house. There's a nice looking image of a large fish cast into the top of the sewer grate. I don't know what that's all about, but all the grates on our street have them. Mine's the only one on the block that's not all rusty looking. I guess all the oil I've dumped on it over the years has kept it nice looking. That's the kinda guy I am. I like keeping things nice looking. Good luck with your project.

I would recommend removing all mounting screws and essentially disassembling the frame 100% to individual pieces. Water will get into the threads and won't dry out if it is assembled, then just rust away.

Frankly, what I can see of the paint wouldn't even be an OA bath candidate in my book. As much of a godsend it is, it does tend to leave the paint with a chalky haze to it and is typically reserved for paint that is nearly converted to rust. I would just hit rusty areas of your paint with WD-40 and 0000 steel wool, then polish it.

Shouldn't be a problem dumping.

Oxalic acid is an organic compound found in many plants. These include leafy greens, vegetables, fruits, cocoa, nuts and seeds ( 1 ). In plants, it's usually bound to minerals, forming oxalate. The terms “oxalic acid” and “oxalate” are used interchangeably in nutrition science.
Was the reference of dumping about Evaporust or OA? Oxalic is an acid. Evaporust is a Chelating agent which appears to not be that bad. I think everyone should do some research before just throwing it away. Probably not the place to get off topic like this but we can all help from making things worse. They already are

I would recommend removing all mounting screws and essentially disassembling the frame 100% to individual pieces. Water will get into the threads and won't dry out if it is assembled, then just rust away.

Frankly, what I can see of the paint wouldn't even be an OA bath candidate in my book. As much of a godsend it is, it does tend to leave the paint with a chalky haze to it and is typically reserved for paint that is nearly converted to rust. I would just hit rusty areas of your paint with WD-40 and 0000 steel wool, then polish it.
I was thinking the same thing but was afraid of scratching the paint. It’s removing stains and scratches and doing a great job at cleaning the paint so thank you for your suggestion. I wanted to brighten the paint a bit cause it has turned darker but the WD40 and 0000 steel wool are doing the trick and giving me the look I want. I did strip The bike down and everything will get a thorough cleaning. One of the Torrington pedals is missing a few bb’s that were loose and not caged like the rest so I need to get a caged set.
I tried it on a rim just to see and wow the red pops out on the left side. Compare to the darker almost burgundy on the right,

Last edited:
Back