When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Observations of 1934 Huffman "Aircrafted" Motor Bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It has been a long time updating this post. Here is a lucky observation that I stumbled upon this morning. The small LaFrance badge is the heavier type that would have been used in 1934 -1935, maybe early 36? It has both bottle cap remains and drilled holes (bottle caps and screws sometimes both show up on badges used during the first years). The larger badge is the second generation with completely different badge hole measurements.

@freqman I am curious what is the height of your LaFrance bicycle’s badge?

IMG_6226.jpeg

IMG_6227.jpeg

IMG_6228.jpeg

Last edited:
It has been a long time updating this post. Here is a lucky observation that I stumbled upon this morning. The small LaFrance badge is the heavier type that would have been used in 1934 -1935, maybe early 36? It has both bottle cap remains and drilled holes (bottle caps and screws sometimes both show up on badges used during the first years). The larger badge is the second generation with completely different badge hole measurements.

@freqman I am curious what is the height of your LaFrance bicycle’s badge?

View attachment 1969092

View attachment 1969094

View attachment 1969096
We may have a dilemma here. My badge measure 3 5/16" tall and appears to be of what you call the later variety. I'm thinking these may have been used concurrently?

IMG_5130.JPG

IMG_5131.JPG

IMG_5132.JPG

Could be Shawn, or maybe the one is first year only? Thank you for your input. No hard facts here; sadly these are both off there bicycles and we can’t gleam
other dating clues. @John

IMG_6235.jpeg

IMG_6236.jpeg

The smooth side pinched fork anomaly: My red bike has completely smooth shoulders at the crown; it appears John's bike above has the same. The Louisville bike, and all the other pinched crown forks have a ridge or subtle moulding edge around the bottom side to the fork crown.

1934 Red Huffman badged Dayton:
View attachment 900109

1934/35 Huffman made for: Louisville Cycle Co. badged: American Flyer:
View attachment 900111

1936 Huffman Safety Streamline:
View attachment 900112

Other pinched Huffman forks (1934-1936:(

View attachment 900115

I’m curious about the timeline of these Dayton pinched forks and I’m hoping someone can answer my question.

When did Dayton make the jump from the pinched shouldered fork to the rounded shouldered fork?

The red overpainted one is from my ‘36 and the yellow overpainted one I found on a ‘47… but the ‘47 fork has characteristics of these older forks sans the pinch. Which is what piqued my interest.

EB546B72-C5EE-4450-A0BF-02685C76830A.jpeg

925FC7D6-7571-44A2-84FB-92D1BB976A72.jpeg

Last edited:
Back