When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Schwinn tire?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mickeyc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Tried this in the Schwinn, no results after 50 lookers, so thought I'd try it here. Nice little 20" I got from neighbor, serial (H417012) puts it at Aug. 4, 1964. Curious about the front tire. Not seen one with that marking before. Unique to the 20"?
Thanks for any insight.

Mike
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG

Never seen one of these before, but if you look at the link below, the 1955 catalog refers to "new" Schwinn Tornado tires (middelweight 1.75" ?) for that year. Maybe it was a marketing idea to move away from the balloon heavyweights? Not sure. I live down in Monroe, so Howdy BTW...

I have 26" whitewall Tornado on my 55. That was Schwinn's first middleweight tire for the S-7's. I believe it was only issued on the 55 and 56 models and quite possibly some 57's until the Westwinds came about.

The above are on middle weight bikes. This is a 20", probably a basic Sting Ray. Nothing in the 1964 catalog about the tire names. It does have a studded rear tire.

Mike

View attachment 650834
The above are on middle weight bikes. This is a 20", probably a basic Sting Ray. Nothing in the 1964 catalog about the tire names. It does have a studded rear tire.

Mike

The Westwind tire was used on the 64 middleweights. The Tornado name was short lived 1955-56. Here's my 55 Corvette with the original Tornado front tire.

1955 Girls Corvette Opal Green 029.JPG
1955 Girls Corvette Opal Green 028.JPG

Back