When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd Size 1936 Truss Fork

-

fat tire trader

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Hello,
I have never seen one of these forks before. I think it is a 36 because of the lock. It is narrower than a balloon fork and the blades are about 1/2" shorter than a balloon fork. Is it for a 26" singletube tire?

schwinn_truss_fork_1.jpg
schwinn_truss_fork_2.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

I dont know, but it's cool. Could it be for a tall frame or a women's frame? I think 8" long tubing would make it for a taller/longer headtube. Schwinn for sure, right?

The steerer tube is 6 3/4" long. Compared to 6 1/4" normal size prewar balloon frames. So the headtube would be 1/2" longer. It is definately a Schwinn fork. I just compared it to a Schwinn 28" truss fork. It has the same width crown and the blades are 1" shorter. I would think that if it was for a 26" single tube bike that the fork blades would be two inches shorter than a 28" fork. This picture shows it next to my 36 locking balloon fork.

schwinn_truss_fork_3.jpg

It is that rim/tire transition time. (1933-36). Tell us more about what bike it came off of, or how you know it's a '36.

I can't imagine forks in '36 being especially crafted for singletube set ups, especially with truss rods. Otherwise I'd be thinking track or racer bike. Not a Schwinn guy per say. Someone else chime in.

If I have my Schwinn data correct, the locking fork came out in 35 and changed to the having the lock at an angle in 37. So the fork could be a 35 or 36 + or -. I got this fork by itself with no lock.

I have a 1936 Model C frame, and the head tube is 6 3/4 inches. I have been looking for a fork that fits it for months, with no luck. Would you like to sell yours?

Last edited:
Coaster Brake is correct. The Schwinn straight back locking fork was not introduced until 1936, in 37 they went to the angled style.

I have a 1936 Model C frame, and the head tube is 6 3/4 inches. I have been looking for a fork that fits it for months, with no luck. Would you like to sell yours?
The steerer tube on this fork is 6 3/4". If your head tube is 6 3/4" you need a longer steerer tube...

Back