When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Of patents, prototypes and production

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ccmerz

Wore out three sets of tires already!
About 10 years ago I bought a rusty weathered frame made by The Canada Cycle and Motor Co.
It's a 1936 first year model Flyte. The serial number is Z-5001. On December 30 2012, I bought another Flyte, mostly complete from the original family. The bike was sold originally to a large prominent family in a small mill town in northern Ontario. (That's another story). The serial number read Z-5002. Now amazing as that is, I noticed the front curved forks on 5002 are different than any other fork I have ever seen, including the 11 I own. Could this be a prototype? I never thought much about the serial number 5001, but am considering the possibility that 5001 may just be the first production frame made? I need to know more about how serial numbers were sequenced by CCM. This frame design was patented on October 23, 1935. Could the number 5 reference the 5th week of 1936 (first week of February) by the time tooling was ready for the first frame? The 5002 frame was over painted with primer, but I uncovered maroon paint with Ivory over it inside the bottom bracket. I was told the bike was painted blue and white originally. The fork in primer is typical design, the other one not. I feel like I'm in deep with this one.
flyte36 029.jpg
flyte36 071.jpg
flyte36 102.jpg
flyte36 103.jpg
DSC02293.jpg

It's a Flyte bike, (1936-40?). I have pictures that I found on the internet somewhere, maybe on a string here on the cabe. Here they are again. I'm not sure who originaly posted them.

Flyte1936-3.jpg

Flyte1940-large.jpg

Flyte1937.jpg

Flyte bike.jpg

Those are neat looking bikes. Cool that you have consecutative serial bikes! 5001 my be a one off fork design...
I was into antique outboard motors and they would do stuff like that all the time.

Back