When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Off Center Head Badge

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
While I'm at it, what was the original head light on this bike? Does anybody have some good pictures?

Nice find!

From the 1955 Fair Trade bulletin:

"Dynohub front generator set on Traveler - substitute for Miller or Melos (sp. ?) Generator set - $6.95 - Schwinn part number 8906"

..not sure if first digit is an 8...

1955.jpg

Here is a pic of a 1955 Hercules with a SA Dynohub set up. If Schwinn used their entire system then perhaps this is the lamp you are seeking?
Hercules_-_Wonder_Wheels_1955_page_11_main_image.jpg

upload_2018-3-13_8-31-27.png

That's what I'm wondering. @MarkKBike has an older Traveler with a Miller generator running off the tire, and it also has Miller head and tail lights, and that's what the catalogs show also. But since the Dynohub was made by Sturmey-Archer, I'm guessing it may have come with Sturmey-Archer lights. I know the tail light on mine is not the same as his. But now I'm wondering who was Melos? I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out.

Based on your photo, the head badge looks fine, screw holes appear aligned, dead center the top S letter and bottom N.
It looks like, in your photo that, your screw holes on head post are misaligned. o_O

img_2474-jpg.jpg

Nice bike! Are those the original "Schwinn" calipers? I've wondered when they went to the Weinmann type.
The brakes are original but the levers are later models. I would have liked to use the originals but they were just too worn out.

I buddy of mine has a white Traveler I've been trying to get off him for a while now- good looking bikes! That head badge would drive me nuts though... :-0

Looks like the holes were drilled for the badge early on a Monday morning...by a worker still feeling the effects of an all-niter at his local pub...:rolleyes:

Back