When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official: A real Harley Davidson or a fake? That is the question...

-
What do the experts have to say about this specimen? Looks correct to my untrained eye...
I’m not an expert by any means but would say the frame appears genuine. Lots of incorrect parts though like wrong fenders, bars/stem,pump,one pedal(rat trap) seat? Missing stand clip. I can’t see the rear hub for make/model. Would need better pics of chain ring and hubs They were offered in 2 frame sizes 20” and 22” most years and a 24” in 1918 If this frame is correct we are dealing with a different frame size then all the lit depicts as the arch bar drops lower onto the bottom bar than illustrated model.

Last edited:
I’m not an expert by any means but would say the frame appears genuine. Lots of incorrect parts though like wrong fenders, bars/stem,pump,one pedal(rat trap) seat? Missing stand clip. I can’t see the rear hub for make/model. Would need better pics of chain ring and hubs.
Rear wheel is incorrect as the front wheel is proper spoke count of 36 but rear should only be 28 spoke count. They were offered in 2 frame sizes 20” and 22” If this frame is correct we are dealing with a different frame size then all the lit depicts as the arch bar drops lower onto the bottom bar than illustrated model.
Yes, the owner did add that he hung period parts on it, tho not correct, to get it on the road.

My understanding is that Harley Davidson, over the years, contracted with a number of other builders besides Davis to build their bicycles.
I would suggest that what increases the value of Davis built Harley Davidson bicycles, as with many things, is their rarity. I've been told by
respected collectors and historians that two of the key features that Harley Davidson insisted be part of frames that were to become
Harley Davidson models were a split bottom bracket / crank hanger with left and right side bearing-race clamp screws, and signature HD forged
drive sprockets. Two of the companies that I was told built frames for Harley Davidson were Shelby and Columbia. Attached to their frames were
a pair of rain gutter fenders with the front fender incorporating riveted on tail-end side skirts, extended handlebars on men's models. Also on certain
men's models were tubular "tanks" with a tapered tail end and a removable styled forward end piece for battery access. On a restoration project I once competed on a 1917 men's model which, as found, had a badly bent drive sprocket that I replaced with a near perfect reproduction version that, after nickel plating and polishing, could not be distinguished from an original. So as not to misrepresent the bike to the buyer I disclosed the fact
of the reproduction sprocket when I presented the bike for sale but I doubt anyone could have ever discovered the sprocket was not original.

So the black(?) bike in post #35 looks like a 1926-D Westfield built motorbike, not sure about the fork; and the chain tensioner looks like the Columbia style; but I think that the intent of the thread might have been to limit direct posts to those bicycles with either a HD badge, a HD sprocket, or a Motocyke decal; and links to other threads, if applicable.

Last edited:
My understanding is that Harley Davidson, over the years, contracted with a number of other builders besides Davis to build their bicycles.
I would suggest that what increases the value of Davis built Harley Davidson bicycles, as with many things, is their rarity. I've been told by
respected collectors and historians that two of the key features that Harley Davidson insisted be part of frames that were to become
Harley Davidson models were a split bottom bracket / crank hanger with left and right side bearing-race clamp screws, and signature HD forged
drive sprockets. Two of the companies that I was told built frames for Harley Davidson were Shelby and Columbia. Attached to their frames were
a pair of rain gutter fenders with the front fender incorporating riveted on tail-end side skirts, extended handlebars on men's models. Also on certain
men's models were tubular "tanks" with a tapered tail end and a removable styled forward end piece for battery access. On a restoration project I once competed on a 1917 men's model which, as found, had a badly bent drive sprocket that I replaced with a near perfect reproduction version that, after nickel plating and polishing, could not be distinguished from an original. So as not to misrepresent the bike to the buyer I disclosed the fact
of the reproduction sprocket when I presented the bike for sale but I doubt anyone could have ever discovered the sprocket was not original.
Dick,
I believe you have been sorely misinformed. Davis was the only builder of HD bikes--not counting the modern stuff. For people that really study these bikes a fake (repo) chain ring is easy to spot most of the time as with the many fake head badges. There is a complete thread on Davis built bikes here https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/show-your-davis-built-bicycles.20560/ if you read through these 81 pages of posts you should have a good idea of what right looks like. I have only seen a few HD restorations that were accurate but most I've seen are poor attempts--same with Indian and Flying Merkel. Hell most don't even start with the right frame and fork as evidenced in this thread. What makes these motorcycle related bikes expensive is original bikes are scarce but more importantly desirable by both bicycle and motorcycle collectors. I can't say this enough but if you are considering buying one of these bikes study the threads here devoted to these bikes and know what you are buying. Chasing parts for these is not cheap and in some cases damn near impossible-try finding a pair of aluminum Indian pedals with red scripted blocks! V/r Shawn

Last edited:
Dick,
I believe you have been sorely misinformed. Davis was the only builder of HD bikes--not counting the modern stuff. For people that really study these bikes a fake (repo) chain ring is easy to spot most of the time as with the many fake head badges. There is a complete thread on Davis built bikes here https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/show-your-davis-built-bicycles.20560/ if you read through these 81 pages of posts you should have a good idea of what right looks like. I have only seen a few HD restorations that were accurate but most I've seen are poor attempts--same with Indian and Flying Merkel. Hell most don't even start with the right frame and fork as evidenced in this thread. What makes these motorcycle related bikes expensive is original bikes are scarce but more importantly desirable by both bicycle and motorcycle collectors. I can't say this enough but if you are considering buying one of these bikes study the threads here devoted to these bikes and know what you are buying. Chasing parts for these is not cheap and in some cases damn near impossible-try finding a pair of aluminum Indian pedals with red scripted blocks! V/r Shawn
Excellent advice. I'll read over the thread you suggested. THX

I believe that confusion over authenticity may be a boom for those who restore bicycles for profit; and a bane to those who might collect or purchase. One would think that restorers would already be somewhat aware of the rights and wrongs, but I have been advised, regarding ethics or integrity, to be less certain and to presume any “mistakes” are by “accident” (ugh).

Last edited:
So the black(?) bike in post #35 looks like a 1926-D Westfield built motorbike, not sure about the fork; and the chain tensioner looks like the Columbia style; but I think that the intent of the thread might have been to limit direct posts to those bicycles with either a HD badge, a HD sprocket, or a Motocyke decal; and links to other threads, if applicable.
THX for the good info. I'm building a Motocyke for my Collection. Tribute bike.

Back