When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official G & J Clincher Rims Thread

-
My wife and I have both been trying to research this website and what I came up with on a Canadian site is the following that suggests this is a guy living on the Nebraska/South Dakota border called Valentine.

Domain Name: weforwildt.com
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namesilo.com
Registrar URL: https://www.namesilo.com/
Updated Date: 2021-06-05T07:00:00Z
Creation Date: 2021-06-04T07:00:00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2022-06-04T07:00:00Z
Registrar: NameSilo, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 1479
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4805240066
Reseller: domain manage
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID:
Registrant Name: James Jordan
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 249 Andy Street
Registrant City: Valentine
Registrant State/Province: SD
Registrant Postal Code: 69201
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.6053786551
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID:
Admin Name: James Jordan
Admin Organization:
Admin Street: 249 Andy Street
Admin City: Valentine
Admin State/Province: SD
Admin Postal Code: 69201
Admin Country: US

I had the same thought that if someone were setting up a scam why would it be with a low demand and low price item like bike tires? Woud'nt you want to sell something for $$$ on every transaction. Hoping I haven't lead everyone into a scam but I'm really suspicious at this point. Never been scammed online up to now but there is always the first time...

The thing is: scammers take random items - copying legit offers from the internet and pretent to sell them - not too expensive- otherwise people would hesitate...
I had a simliar thing on Amazon: a Mini Lathe for a really good price -offered via the official Amazon website, on Amazon Marketplace.
I clicked "buy" and received a payment demand.
What made me suspicius was that the wording sounded not right, smelled like "google translate" - I did not pay and instead asked for some kind of feedback/answer from the seller- I did received an answer, but it didn't relate at all to my inquiry at all - the same answer, over and over.
I assume this whole thing runs automated, including setting up the ads (copy &paste from other sources)

After some googleing I found a telephone number of the real word store and it turned out the store was legit, but not the Amazon Sales offer - they never used Amazon and someone hijacked their good name. The Lady told me this had been going on for some time and Amazon did not do anything to stop it...

Check your Paypal or credit card; your money just went to China. I bought 3 pairs; they did the same $99 thing. I checked the Paypal and they billed $113.80; the company name was just Chinese characters.
Update on this transaction. Here is what I received for my $113.80 spent; I just got off the phone with Paypal and they have finally identified this company as a fraudulent vendor and are in the process of suspending their account. The agent said I would be getting my money back.

IMG_2177.jpg

Thanks for the update, Brant.
Nothing received here, either.
I just pulled the rip cord as well.
Uggh!
I was really hoping we’d get those tires.
😢

Last edited:
Yeah, I just got the refund from PayPal.
They were good about looking into it.
It still seems strange, that of all the scams to run, they’d choose something so obscure as Rubena tires for obsolete G&J rims.
I can just see these guys sitting around in a cigar smoke filled room, saying, these antique bike guys want those tires so bad, they’ll believe just about anything.
Muuuaaaahhhhhh!

I can see why some of you want to use your G &J rims but can't figure out why you would not just get Stutzman new wood rims. That take modern tires that are available and fit no problem. My self am sold on new Rms . It's just not worth looking for original wood rims if you want to ride it. Just my take on this. And I understand your using original rims. Been at this too long I guess.
Dave

Well, for me, the love affair started with this bike.
When found, it still had its original color matched, steel G&J clincher rims.

Unfortunately, tires that fit those rims seemed to be unobtainable.
The consensus was, that if you wanted to actually ride the bike, then you needed to re lace the wheels with modern rims.
I was somewhat resigned to doing just that, but I had this nagging feeling that I shouldn’t do that to such a nice original condition bike.
A friend of mine clued me in to the possibility that there might be tires that fit that type of rim over in Europe.
We found a distributor in Germany that carried the Rubena brand tires, from the Czech Republic, that were specifically made to fit the old G&J rims exactly as they were originally designed to do.
So, I ordered a set, not expecting them to fit so perfectly.
After about a year of searching, I felt like I had won the lottery, when the tires arrived, and I mounted them to the original rims.
I do understand the whole wood rim dilemma, because the original wood G&J rims would be a bit sketchy to run at a high enough pressure for riding.
I had a 1927 Excelsior that had the wood type G&J rims with the steel clincher liners.
Those rims were great!
Unfortunately, they are beyond scarce, so if your bike doesn’t already have them, it’s unlikely that your going to be able to equip it with them.

The steel G&J’s are not exactly plentiful, but they were heavy duty, and very well made, so if you’re lucky enough to find a set, chances are, that they are still very useable.
I guess for me, it’s about keeping that neat old bike as original as possible.
The idea of putting a modern rim on a 100 year old bicycle just doesn’t seem right.
If I’m going to do that, then I’ll just break out the OCLV110 Carbon, Trek Madone, and go for a ride.
But hey, that’s just me.

Last edited:
It seems realistic and affordable choices for rideable 28” wheelsets are getting harder and harder to find.
Redline 1968 is selling this 20’s Dayton with British 28” clincher rims laced to ND hubs and easy to source 28 x 1 1/2” tires.
I recently bought a 1921 Shelby with incorrect 26” wheelset, but came with 28” British rims, ND hubs and spokes. It also came with NOS BF Goodrich Silvertown 28 x 11/2” tires and tubes. These parts are right now at my LBS getting laced up. Excited to see how these look and ride.

Back