When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official G & J Clincher Rims Thread

-

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
This thread is intended to discuss the three types of clincher rims Gormully & Jeffery (G & J) offered. A goal is to determine when certain rim types (wood, wood with steel inserts, and all metal) were first introduced and how long their individual production continued. Please feel free to post any original literature discussing or promoting these rims. Also of interest are the different sizes each type were produced.

Note that wheels built with these rims are often now being ridden today. Modern Rubena 28 by 1 1/2 bead edge tires fit the 28” wood with steel inserts, and the all steel rim versions. I have been told these tires will also work on the all wood version but have yet to speak with someone running these tires to determine if they modified the inner raised profile to make them work.

Please feel free to add to this thread any material of merit!

Here are images of the three types.

Wood with the steel clincher inserts:

E242F126-4BBB-4873-8000-5D286010E9FB.jpeg

Metal only, these are known to be produced to accommodate 26” and 28” wheels. Other sizes may have been produced. They were sold plated in nickel and with painted finishes. It is known that Columbia, Davis, and Great Western used these for the World War I military bicycles. Miami also offered these rims as an optional upgrade.

(This original paint set appears to be possibly produced for a Mead bicycle)

And the just wood:

6414E37D-0AEE-41AE-96C1-0E048A68A84F.jpeg

Last edited:
This from the 1921 Beckley Ralston catalog.

It appears that most of the wood rims of the era, were made by the American Wood Rim Company.
It is unclear, if the use of the G&J moniker was a generic term to describe the clincher type of casing, pioneered by Gormully and Jeffrey.

I do have a pair of early metal clincher rims that have a folded metal bead seat, but not sure if they are G&J or not. They were in poor shape to begin with. The 1st one required much cold-bending work to get straight enough to re-lace but it came out well.

And below another similarly-pressed steel clincher wheelset in the 26" super-balloon wheel size in 1933/34+?
The rims came originally with these hubs. Again, not sure if G&J made it or not. (Lobdell)?

Last edited:
I do have a pair of early metal clincher rims that have a folded metal bead seat, but not sure if they are G&J or not.
The first set is what we refer to as "G & J" metal clinchers Pete. There is still much unknown hence the reason for starting this thread. The second version you posted are fanastic! They exhibit rolled edge that maybe a "G & J" patent. It is important to keep in mind that by the early 20th century G & J was a major supplier of automobile, motorcycle, and other types of tires (not just bicycle). Matt's post helps confirms Gormully & Jeffery likely licensed their patents to other firms.

Thank you for all the contributions so far!

@New Mexico Brant, I don't know if you are aware of the "History of the Clincher Tyre and Rim", written circa 1900 and published by 'The North British Tyre and Rubber Company'.
It's on the V-CC library site.
I did a quick search for Gormully and Jeffery and this popped up .
I haven't read it all (it's 32 pages of very small type) but G&J are mentioned in it somewhere!

There is also information on the G & J wood clinchers in the thread below.
Including the original patent drawings......

Back