When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh No! A 10 tooth Skip-tooth New Departure sprocket...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

JCGarrison

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I bought an S2 rear wheel with Model D coaster brake for the Deluxe Hornet that I am working on. It is a lovely wheel! But I gather that the 10 tooth 1" spacing won't work with the chain and crankset already on the bike. What do I need to be looking for? There are some New Departure Schwinn hubs on Ebay, but I would hate to buy the wrong thing. Again. Thanks...

You just swap out the skiptooth sprocket for a standard drive one. You’ll be back on the road in no time.

You just swap out the skiptooth sprocket for a standard drive one. You’ll be back on the road in no time.
OK! I have an 18 tooth sprocket on the wheel and hub that came off the bike. It's not a New Departure, but maybe it will fit. I'll see if I can get it off and then figure out how to replace the 10-tooth sprocket.

OK! I have an 18 tooth sprocket on the wheel and hub that came off the bike. It's not a New Departure, but maybe it will fit. I'll see if I can get it off and then figure out how to replace the 10-tooth sprocket.
Your probably going to need a ND cog. Pics of what you are trying to do may be helpful. V/r Shawn

This is a picture of the New Departure Model D 10-tooth hub, the chain and crankset on the bike, and an 18-tooth Sun Tour hub I have. It would be great if the Sun Tour cog would fit the ND hub, but probably not. I would like to use the ND coaster brake, seems like it is in good shape. There seem to be a couple of ND hubs on Ebay at the moment. Thanks...

ND Model D.jpg

Crank and chain.jpg

Suntour cog.jpg

ND Rear hub.JPG

@JCGarrison This is all you need. I did a similar swap a couple of weeks ago. Remove a lock nut and the adjusting cone. Hold the unit together from the brake arm side and unscrew this assembly. Screw the new one in, replace the cone and lock washer and you're in business. Replacing an entire hub means removing all the spokes then relacing and truing your wheel.
IMG_20211007_121802555_HDR.jpg

Reactions: ian
If the seller on ebay is a member here, I'm sorry if this makes them mad, but that's way too much to spend trying to solve your problem. Let me do some checking to see if I have what you need and I'll get back to you later today. If someone chimes in with one before that, go for it.

Yeah all you really need to do is change the cog. It will have to be ND though. V/r Shawn

Back