When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh no, not another Spaceliner!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So far I have compiled 73 product codes over the three model years from 1964 to 1966. You can truly get a headache trying to understand all the different configurations that were offered for the Spaceliner.

The rear rack you're referring to with the large rectangular light on top was introduced in late 2005 at the beginning of the 'new-style' bikes for the 2006 model year. It was a fully chromed rack, but there are not many of them around because the majority of the bikes (even the new style) continued to be sold mostly with the original style painted racks with the undermount light and lens that projected out behind the rack. It's my opinion that the original style painted racks were used in all five years of Spaceliner production and are interchanegable between model years, with the chrome racks being added in 1966 as an upgrade. Interestingly, in 1966 the original style bikes, with painted frames, continued to be sold alongside the new-style bikes painted frame bikes that were introduced for that model year. This ended in 1967.

Here's a pic of the chromed rack (missing the light) on a ladies bike. Another thing to note is that, from 1966 on, when you chose the version with the chrome rear rack you also received a different saddle that had ribs running front to back (white on ladies bikes, black on mens). If you chose the standard painted rack, you continued to receive the original style seat with silver edging and chrome crash bar.

View attachment 50243

BrentP, thanks for the info.

BrentP, thanks for the info.

No worries. Once I get my teeth into something I'm like a dog with a bone.

What I really want is to try to figure out if there is any type of date code in the serial numbers, but I haven't collected enough serial numbers yet to decipher any patterns. 80% of my model codes have come from catalogs, but the catalogs barely scratch the surface of the different number of Spaceliner configurations.

Back