When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh that cruiser carrier

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Neal405

Finally riding a big boys bike
So I have been looking at this Typhoon on CL for awhile. At first I thought the carrier was ugly but as a few days pass I totally flip flopped and now I Love it. So after some bartering I brought it home today. Built 12/1980. So what do you guys think of the carrier? I've never seen one but Schwinn had them in the 81 catalog.

So I have been looking at this Typhoon on CL for awhile. At first I thought the carrier was ugly but as a few days pass I totally flip flopped and now I Love it. So after some bartering I brought it home today. Built 12/1980. So what do you guys think of the carrier? I've never seen one but Schwinn had them in the 81 catalog.View attachment 1410494

View attachment 1410495
It's definitely stout!

So I have been looking at this Typhoon on CL for awhile. At first I thought the carrier was ugly but as a few days pass I totally flip flopped and now I Love it. So after some bartering I brought it home today. Built 12/1980. So what do you guys think of the carrier? I've never seen one but Schwinn had them in the 81 catalog.View attachment 1410494

Yep, pretty rare rack. Here is a pic from my 81 dealer catalog showing the rack.

Never noticed that rack before. And had I seen it on a bike in, say; Craig's list, I can imagine I could take a pass without reading the graphics; 'Schwinn' or auto presume it's mis-advertised Huff, Murray and or china thingy, in a split sec..

Yeah, might take a bit of time to be liking that, baby elephant carrier, and why, 'Rare' may be applicable. On the bright side, though, I guess U could say; Schwinn was ahead of the pack, with the monstrosity rack. :dizzy:

Last edited:
Yep, pretty rare rack. Here is a pic from my 81 dealer catalog showing the rack.

View attachment 1410682
U totally need one of these Lobster dude. Stick a Yellow one on your 'Heavy-Duty' an Ice case, fridge for 50 pound lobster tails, or shrimp. Alternatively; a little hot dog thing and E-bike generator W/H-D Battery for power and U R in Schwinn styling (SS) business! Or:
1620921612491.jpeg

"Get your wet teddy bears! Wet Teddy bears!, Guarantied wet or the next one is on me!"

;)

Last edited:
I've got one of those racks. It came on this '84 Cruiser 5. Now it's on my modified '63 Traveler - no fenders, coaster brake, w/ 26x1.75 tires. It's my daily rider. Fenders are off the Cruiser 5 and it now sports 50's era tank, fenders, and chain guard. Looks like an early 50's Streamliner but with 5 speeds and hand brakes.

I've got an '84 Schwinn with the same rack you've got, and it's similar to the one posted above, but the rails look thinner. I'm guessing ours are made from solid rods while @Neal405's version is hollow tubing, but it may just be the way I'm looking at it. Did they change the design or were there different racks or am I imagining things?

I've got an '84 Schwinn with the same rack you've got, and it's similar to the one posted above, but the rails look thinner. I'm guessing ours are made from solid rods while @Neal405's version is hollow tubing, but it may just be the way I'm looking at it. Did they change the design or were there different racks or am I imagining things?
That's zactly what I been thunkin. Yet, I been needing a new eye-brain connector fer a bit too, so?

Back