When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil based spray paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Unless the paint is free, I'd think about other paints.....
You haven't said what your experience is with painting... Paint that doesn't dry very quickly can be a pain, especially to a novice..Just my 2 cents..

I have to ask what you are going to paint and what Gillespie Coatings product are you planning on using. Using an oil base paint that can be applied with a brush or roller most always has a slower drying time and if thinned with paint thinner it extends the drying time. The type of alkyd product makes a huge difference. I read some of Gillespie's data and they have different products for different applications. I shoot an industrial acrylic oil base enamel at work that is supplied by the company that makes our machines and that stuff dries to the touch in 15 to 20 minutes with no hardener. After an hour I can pick up that item I painted and install it on the machine.

A 1945 Columbia . Trying to build a Navy Tribute bike of that era . I have collected all the correct parts.
Spray paint in 11 OZ can . Flat Navy Gray . I have worked at a body shop doing prep work but we had our on sprayers .
This is US Made and is the super high quality Gillespie Coatings brand. This is oil based enamel. This is the top of the line and the paint all the serious collectors and the US Military Museum systems use. Just ask any of the serious collectors or military vehicle restorers about the Gillespie Brand.
The bike would not be a display bike but something I would ride on the beach during the 4th and Veterans day .
Question was .
Has anyone had success using a oil based spray paint and primer ?

Thank You

Last edited:
A 1945 Columbia . Trying to build a Navy Tribute bike of that era . I have collected all the correct parts.
Spray paint in 11 OZ can . Flat Navy Gray . I have worked at a body shop doing prep work but we had our on sprayers .
This is US Made and is the super high quality Gillespie Coatings brand. This is oil based enamel. This is the top of the line and the paint all the serious collectors and the US Military Museum systems use. Just ask any of the serious collectors or military vehicle restorers about the Gillespie Brand.
The bike would not be a display bike but something I would ride on the beach during the 4th and Veterans day .
Question was .
Has anyone had success using a oil based spray paint and primer ?

Thank You

Yes. A few hundred doors in new subdivisions, exterior doors on new Walmarts, JC Pennys and other commercial buildings.

Back