When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil for oil port hubs, grease otherwise?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

3-speeder

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hello. I'm looking for advice on the best practice for tuning up my bikes. I'm currently rejuvenating a pre-war CWC Roadmaster with a New Departure model D hub. The last New Departure I worked on was from my '55 Schwinn Spitfire. It did not have an oil port so I used Park Tool PPL-1 grease on all the bearings and WD40's High Temperature Grease for the disc brake area. I liked the WD40 high temp grease. It came in a tube for my grease gun and was a lot softer than some other high temp grease I have found. On this New Departure model D there is an oil port so I'm thinking "oil it", Right? My thought is anything with an oil port needs oil. Even the bottom brackets with an oil port? What about those 60's Komet hubs, etc? I don't want to have to do anything twice. Thanks for your thoughts.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I keep a medium sized prescription bottle filled with 30wt. oil. Drop disks in with a bent spoke hook though the center of the column, agitate a little, then pull 'em out.

Last edited:
I use a small hair brush I got from Hatbor Freight to apply the 30W motor oil to my discs and the hub tab slots.
Park grease on my bearings and races.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips guys. Looking forward to getting this bike on the road. Love to hear 'em squeal when they hit the road after years of sitting around. :grinning:

For the New Departure coaster brake, I use Lucas Oil Green grease for the bearings and 90 weight gear oil on the discs through the port.

Thanks everybody. I greased the ball bearings and oiled the discs through the port with a nice 50 weight racing oil. Man does this thing pedal nice. I had the hub finished and all the other bearings cleaned and regreased a few weeks ago. We had a short lived beautiful January thaw at the time and I was able to take it out for a ride. The seller had knobby mountainbike tires on it and I didn't like them. My new tires just came today. Yay! I'll put them on this weekend. I'll post some pictures soon. I really enjoyed that test ride. It's too short for me, and I originally bought it just for the wheels and parts but decided to keep it together because it's really in great shape. Maybe I'll add some tassels. Haha.

Here she is with the new tires. The flooding rains have washed all the salt from the roads. Took a short ride to the flooded driving range by my house. Nice place to take pictures. Our River trail is under water so I kept the ride short. Super smooth rider. Really like my new tires.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

For some reason I couldn't find this thread this morning..so I went to this site.
20210811_154640.jpg
So what you are saying is I should return this $19.02 bottle of Marine gear lube (not even oil), and get some 30w.
20210811_143929.jpg

Cool.

Back