When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok, ‘40 DX model year “cusp paint scheme “ - The obvious follow up question:

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Mack the fork

Look Ma, No Hands!
Thanks to the collective inputs of my fellow Cabers; I’ve been able to determine that my 1940 DX was a “Cusp model” with regard to paint schemes ( “spears” vs “ fireballs” ).

I’m going to go with Spears ! So quintessentially prewar….

The obvious follow up questions:

- Does anyone have photos of the available colors for DX models in 1940 ?

- Would it be sacrilege to use colors from other models of the period ?

- Would it be criminal to use Schwinn colors from the 1950’s

- Would Capital Punishment be in order by
applying the silver and red motif of a 1934 Aerocycle (but with ‘40 stencils and stripes ) ?

* Before determining my fate for these possible affronts to historical correctness ; please keep in mind that this build has never been an attempt at an absolutely period correct restoration. Simply more if a design excercise drawing on the exceptional beauty, form, design and quality of Schwinn bicycles of the late prewar/ early postwar era.

The bike will be a “Schwinn parts only” , (primarily prewar) hot rod/bomber.

It will be used for townie and bike trail use. I’m particularly looking forward to tootling down to a nearby lakeside bike shop (which has the delightful feature of a craft beer bar)

I also hope to find myself wobbling contently down the beachfront within envious view of the other bike snobs from the area.

Caveats on this build :

- I bought the bare frame 15 years ago in sand blasted primer with no badge. ( It will now be badged as an Excelsior, with an Excelsior down tube decal )

- Most of all the bike parts will be prewar period correct.

- It will have a period correct, rebuilt Morrow rear, and a large flange Forebrake on the front, BUT laced onto early postwar painted S2 rims , with double butted SS spokes. Front
fork and struts will be early postwar type.

- All patina will be preserved

Note : I would love a correct prewar fork and drop center rims if anyone is feeling benevolent…

So, please weigh in on the paint color questions!

Thanks all !

Nevermind.. it’s sold

A6FCF3B4-E39F-4BE5-B9CA-E34DC6A9C341.png

Get a color match off any Schwinn color you choose, Schwinn took special orders too so, mixing and matching is only a sin when U try and pass it off as 'Original' . Alternatively, pick whatever U want however, about the only cold process paint that I think is worth a spit is Dupont's Imron. It's an epoxy so special mixing and time deadlines with application can occur. It shines, practically, forever and sets up softer than enamels or canned paints. And that goes with your primers, emron or compatible primers that resist chipping that does not need to be baked. Everything else chips like crap.

IDK bout U but, I have a Imron dealer nearby and they can scan or color code match, practically anything. Trek used it for years and I understand that other professional or high end road bike manufactures did too. Personally, I used it about 1982 on a 41 Chevy, nailed the original 1941 color code from Chevy and after years in the sun, heat etc, open storage in a field, was unbelievable.

As far as I'm concerned, in no way could any paint can or cold process I've ever used, not fricken chip, especially as soon as you're not looking, except Imron epoxy paint. . Including the acrylic enamel cans sold online that purports to have the only color matches for Schwinn, I have a Maroon 49 DX somebody painted; it chips too. .

Last edited:
Back