When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK all you Great minds out there... Mead forks

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I do not profess greatness but here are some pictures, just for examples:
Black Mead Ranger Frame 8.jpg
This one seems to have a nickel treatment, unknown year Black Ranger 22" taller diamond frame; forged crown, no truss rods (5.5" head tube).
I thought that the idea may have come from Mead's connections to the English market.
Forks Mead.JPG
Ad/catalog excerpt, unknown year (circa 1920-21); shows laminated crown, truss rods, calls the item Ranger forks, (as opposed to what else...).
The add also showed the George S. Lewis patent 1,435,611 for drop-outs; filed June 23, 1919; approved Nov. 14, 1922; as still "pending".

Last edited:
So, further to Bri's question - I'm looking for a 1919 fork for my Ranger......so far I've only seen the "Non-Ribbed" forks in photos dated 1919. Are 1919 forks Ribbed or Non Ribbed (inquiring minds want to know)?

Looks like a good 10-year period then, at least perhaps between 1911-1921 for the "combination" with the 'triple-truss' crown (w/ laminated plates).
Perhaps the forged crown ribbed fork was a couple/few years earlier.

I read about the "wagon ruts" in the 1911 add description.
The last wagon rut I saw was two summers ago, in sandstone near Guernsey, Wyoming, on the Oregon Trail.
Guernsey, yet another 'English' connection.

Last edited:
Mead had many suppliers of their bikes, different forks, frames too, simultaneously in the same year model, just depends on manufacturer. It's not year specific.
You can endlessly chase your tail with Mead.

Back