When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK cough it up! How do you find your scores??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It also depends on your location, because I'm in a dry area when it comes to old bikes. Unless you consider JC Penney, Walmart, Kmart, etc., old or antique bicycles and a lot of people that post them for sale think so. I know I'm not alone when I say this, but I get the majority of my bikes and parts from fellow cabers on here.

Sean

Good question, @partsguy, in that I'm still figuring out what kind of rider I am. [OP - sorry for the hijack, but I hope some of this will prove relevant.] Right now my "long distance" bike is my only lightweight, a Schwinn Speedster, 3 speed. As I venture off the MUP more frequently (and go farther distances), I feel I'd benefit from a more efficient bike. The last road bike I had was a 1987 Trek 560 pro-series with 105 (not mine pictured, but identical) which I purchased used from a bike shop in the '90s for $200. I also loaned it to a guy who was deported, and never knew what became of it. I didn't appreciate the bike when I had it (cause it was "obsolete"), but it really did everything I needed. 12 gears, lugged frame, cool paint job, pre-Taiwan, working brakes, light enough that I could car top it. So while I love older bikes, something from that era would probably hit all the marks, and be price friendly as well.

View attachment 1018313

I see you are in Connecticut. I had a project in Southeast Connecticut just over 4 years ago. There were bikes to be found all over there, and in Rhode Island. I had a lot of luck on Craigslist, the local newspapers and just keeping my eyes open while driving around. A lot of bikes are for sale, that the people have no intention of selling, if you ask.

I scored a truck load of bikes in Nebraska and Iowa knocking on doors, looking in local papers and the old craigslist. That and I ask people, plumbers, electricians, the folks who work in other peoples houses and see what they have there.

...That and I ask people, plumbers, electricians, the folks who work in other peoples houses and see what they have there.
Really good idea! I went to look at a Vespa VNB a couple of years ago, and the seller mentioned he's a town building inspector, and regularly finds this stuff and offers on it. My realtor knows I'm into bikes, I should probably have her keep on the lookout.

By "score" do you mean a good deal on a bike or do you mean a nice bike regardless of cost? I ask because I have found nice bikes at good prices which is what I consider a score. I'm not sure I would consider a nice bike at a high price a score... my point is, the big spenders always find "scores". If money is not a consideration watch here and eBay, you'll see "scores" all day. If by score you mean a good deal on a good bike CL and tags sales are probably your best bet.

Back