When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok, How Many Here Have A 30" Wheeled Pre-toc

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
BookReaderImages.php 2.jpeg

It would be interesting to know what was used.
It almost appears to have come in lengths and then cut and fastened on the rims the way you would have done a highwheel or hard tire safety.
I recall, at some Wheelmen meets in the past seeing some of the early 1890's safeties with those larger steel rims having that type of tiring that had been done years earlier. The tiring was at least 1-1/2 inches diameter, was a thick rubber and heavy, with that seam. You wonder if it is still available or not?

Last edited:
The material on the Tribune wheels is 1-1/2" OD industrial rubber hose. The hose has an inside diameter of less than 1". I bought rolls of it in black and red and cut to fit the wheel, then slid a smaller piece of plastic tubing inside the hose at the splice and installed small screws through the hose and splice tubing to hold it together. This is for display only. It is a cheap way to make the bikes look better and protect the wood rims.

Great idea!!! Thanks!!!

I would be hesitant to try to stretch a Dean tire, etc. on the larger "wood" rim. You could destroy the rim if you weren't careful! :( Those cannot be replaced, but those metal rims of course can take the stretching with no problem.

Last edited:
The material on the Tribune wheels is 1-1/2" OD industrial rubber hose. The hose has an inside diameter of less than 1". I bought rolls of it in black and red and cut to fit the wheel, then slid a smaller piece of plastic tubing inside the hose at the splice and installed small screws through the hose and splice tubing to hold it together. This is for display only. It is a cheap way to make the bikes look better and protect the wood rims.

could you make me a pair in black?

Back