When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok, I gotta ask....

-
If you turn any bike's handlebars upside-down, it goes faster. This has been known since the earliest days of cycling.

loline-davis-sm-jpg.jpg
Probably on their way to an AA meeting.

I have called this my TOC Racer before because of some of the parts and characteristic of the frame resembled something that could of been put together for a race bike years ago. Sorry if it offended you Mike. ;)

http://thecabe.com/forum/media/albums/1897-toc-thor-hubs.1923/

That red one is a beautiful bike Chris and I myself would most likely consider calling
that one a race bike. It does have all the characteristics of an actual racer. It's difficult
to pin point a bike sometimes as to what it is exactly without a proper badge and its
actual catalogue picture though.

I totally get it what Mike is saying about some bikes that have this label put to them being
a track bike (racer) when clearly they're not. I don't think Mike is referring to your red bike
specifically though because that particular bike says racer all the way..!!

I have seen guys take bikes that have road drop outs, brake bridges with holes for the brakes
or fenders etc and call them track bikes. That's the kind of bike that irks me when it's clearly
a road frame but guys call them track racers etc ...

Again, I understand Mike clearly on this topic as I have only collected "Track" bikes or "Racers"
for 38 yrs now. I've never owned a balloon tire bike or a road bike. I've seen it all in those 38 yrs!!

Here's one for ya. Sometimes we need to know for ourselves and try not to believe the
person selling us the bike. Is this a Racer or not ..???? Does this guy REALLY know what
he's selling!!!! ( or even the guy buying it ..!! )

Low%20Mileage%20Stayers%20Bike.jpg

The reason why most people today call bikes that are fixed gear track bikes is their point of reference. They think about bikes from their 2017 mentality. Aside from the fixie craze, it has been a long time (more than 100 years) since fixed gear bikes were normal bikes, not specifically for racing on a track The coaster brake was very popular here in the US.

In April I made a video of Ted Ernst explain the history of bicycle racing in the US and the transition from fixed gear to derailleurs. Even as a guy that has been collecting bikes since the 1970s and racing them since the 1980s, I found his speech very informative.

There are three parts to the video, here is the first part

Back