When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok, it is that time again to admit something. What bike did you overpay for?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sped Man

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
We have all done this before and will probably do it again. What bike did you over pay for? My first nightmare was a Silver King Hextube. I paid retail for a bike that was suppose to be all original minus the fender light. Being a rookie I didn't know what was original or not. Turns out the only thing original on the bicycle was the frame. The long forgotten CABE member lied about the repop fenders, repop chain guard, incorrect seat, and the incorrect rear rack. He even mounted the rear reflector incorrectly. Well, I admitted my error and don't worry I'll probably sin again later. So, what bike did you break the bank on and found out that you over paid for it? You don't have to tell us how much you paid ;)

That is a feeling that people with "Buyers Remorse" get. I've spent big money on a lot of things, but never felt like I over paid. I might have paid me that what other people would have paid for an item or a bike. And I have many times.

QlmfC.jpg

The way I look at it is that these rusty, restored or beautiful original bikes are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. We don't have CEO's or stock market tycoons telling us what the market value is on these two wheel treasures that we hold dear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember what I paid for it.... (somewhere in the 200-300 range I think) this '34 SK but at the time I had to rescue it. And then I felt compelled to spend countless hours polishing and more than I paid for it in rechroming (which still isn't done). I haven't kept track of the total, but I'm sure I'm over a grand with this bike by now. This will be the labor of love bike.

upload_2017-2-19_8-9-27.png

I feel like I probably overpaid for this one especially when I found that the only usable part on the bike was the frame which in itself required some finesse to make it rideable. Then add in all of the parts I've tracked down to get it as close to original as possible ( not done yet) and then the cost of time and materials in paint and rechroming will push the cost well over what any low end Monark should be worth but this is my passion and I can't put a price on my passion.

db72c8f184ba19b953b65930f9a6bc76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me the only way I know if I overpaid is if I resell the bike and do not make a reasonable profit, or like sometimes happens I lose money . If it is something I buy to keep I make sure to be comfortable with what I pay,I learned long ago buyer's remorse will suck the fun out of this hobby. With all that said ,I once bought a set of wheels from a nice old Schwinn Paramount when I thought I bought the whole bike .Shady seller got me good,I surely overpaid for those wheels

for me.. probably at the time it was to much... was this tall frame Schwinn cycle truck from the Clyde Dunaway estate sale. but I already had one and knew as soon as I saw it how rare a bike it was so I went for it.. pretty beat up and some wrong parts but the basics were there.. No remorse.. and didn't break the bank... just probably paid more then it was worth at the time..

1[1] (2).jpg

Last edited:
I feel like some of you guys are missing the point of this thread. It's about getting caught up in the moment and paying way more than something is worth not what you invested over time. I have buyers remorse about at least a third of the things that I buy off here and eBay and at swaps, but I feel like it's usually just wishing I hadn't bought it because it didn't fit or match up like I'd hoped. I can't really think of any old bike purhase where I over paid to the point that I was seriously upside-down. Most of the experiences that make me want to tear my hair out are the things I sold too cheaply and now wish I'd kept.

Back