When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok, it is that time again to admit something. What bike did you overpay for?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I try and not think of it as over paying, instead I like to think I bought it too early at that price.....(assuming in the future the bike value catches up to my purchase price)

I've probably over spent on most every bike I own or have owned. That doesn't matter because I love bikes. I don't collect them with the idea of turning a quick buck or what it will be worth down the line. I buy them because I love what they look like. I love their history. I look at a bike and think "What were times like when it was ridden down the street by its original owner". But to stay on topic my first balloon tire bike was a 1955 Schwinn Deluxe Hornet. Paid $350 and every part was rusted in place. Then the process of replacing all the shot parts with decent parts. Cha-Ching. Way more than it'll ever be worth. Don't matter though! I rode the hell outta that bike and every cent and all the blood,sweet and tears I put into it was worth it! Never regret, just ride one!

Last edited:
I admit that this is a hobby for me, but that my dollars spent are also an investment and I think about if I'd get my money back in the future...it helps temper the emotions in it and I don't get over my head much.
There are exceptions with the rare bikes/stuff though which I understand I may not ever see again, maybe I overpaid for those but they are the least likely to be turned by me anyway.
Also, I have been able to find undervalued stuff so looking at the big picture, I'm in the green.
Chris

IMG_3076.JPG
Yeah been here done this. I bought these two bikes from a local cabe member. All I remember was "silver king" and "pre war schwinn!" Yeah after I got home I stopped and had to think. Didn't feel to great afterwards. But oh well. (I don't have a picture of the schwinn but I can promise you it was rough) lol

It's hard for me to pay today's prices since I have been collecting for 25+ years so I rarely buy anymore , sadly . But my biggest regret is selling what I had in the past ☹️

Bought this prewar schwinn klunker off of craigslist, without talking the guy down. When it arrived, I noticed the paint was just rattlecanned, and some original color was peaking out in spots. The levers and shifter are flimsy garbage, and the 3 speed drum hub doesn't spin smoothly as it was a bit damaged in shipping. My bike shops don't even want to open the hub to fix the problem. It is a good looking bike from a distance, but I feel remorse.

00h0h_i6ENblWt8VB_600x450.jpg

I don't think I've really paid too much for the bike/project, all the money ends up in the WORK.

I've had a lot of bikes under $100, a few that didn't cost me anything, take it away, gifts.

I tend to spend more to gussy up an otherwise working bike than it cost me.

But if you look at the ones I have you can see I think it was worth it. I didn't spend more than I had, got things in pieces, and I found stuff, improvised.

I can't complain, it wasn't super quick and easy, it was fun. I ride them. Fixing, that's like having a kid that needs a dentist. A responsibility. Still fun, when you get it back.

Last edited:
Back