When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok... Who’s responsible for this?

-

RustyHornet

I live for the CABE
Picked this up this morning because I’d never seen one of these rear hub setups. I’ve also always wanted to play with one of these Dana units. Interesting custom to say the least!

I’m just starting to read about these Tokhiem units, which was built right here in my hometown of Fort Wayne, IN. I’m really intrigued about it! There is also a Dana light axle plant here so that’s pretty cool too.

Unfortunately this frame has been all hacked up... trying to decide what kinda frame I wanna throw these parts on... I most definitely want to ride this contraption!

I just had to tonight... the rear seemed to roll and want to work. The Dana had some parts removed and looked to be the reason this was parked.

Upon further inspection, a piece of broken gear is the culprit of not wanting to make a full rotation. It seemed to work decent by hand so I put it back together to see if I could get the Dana to shift. Took me a minute to figure the cables out, but it didn’t want to work properly... I’ll be looking for a Dana replacement in the future. If anyone has one or parts, lemme know!

It would stay in gear up front so I decided to air up the rear tire, throw a front one on and see what it would do!

It shifted through all 5 gears flawlessly! Pretty neat! Actually seemed to be a pretty nice ride. Definitely need to figure out brakes....

Wow!

Thanks for posting this. From a European point of view this is a mind-blowing piece of kit. An actual gearbox on a bike?

How much does it weigh, if one may ask?

Wow!

Thanks for posting this. From a European point of view this is a mind-blowing piece of kit. An actual gearbox on a bike?

How much does it weigh, if one may ask?

-----

found meself wondering the same thing 🤔

that looks like a whole lotta metal inside the Dana unit

wondering if the correct unit of measurement might be stone rather than pounds or kilos... 😉

-----

Back