When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okay... what the heck do I do now?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Heat the hangar with a torch around the it but first spray oil and clean the exposed threads... The heat will expand the hangar and release the cup from the rust. While hot (use a punch/ something sharp) tap the broken cup ( at a angle) in the direction it needs to unscrew.

I'd definitely try the penetrating oil/heat treatments for a while before trying anything more. The idea to drill a couple of holes for a pin spanner is a good one. If the cup is hardened you might have to grind the holes through. The little Park tool is not sturdy enough for this job, and the prongs on other pin spanners won't be long enough to clear the crank. I have made my own out of Unistrut and grade 8 bolts- here is a picture of the rig I made to unscrew a chainring. Scroll down to post #31...:

Looking at your picture it might help to offset the pin bolts in the unistrut (there's room) and set them back far enough that the end of the unistrut can be u-bolted to the crank for more stability. Just an idea, if the crank spins more or less freely. Slipping tools are no fun for the tool, the workpiece or the operator!

it appears to be the bearing race that is broken,the bearing cup is pressed in first. clean up the mess .heat the broken piece with a propane torch until red
hot use a ice pick to push the broken piece to the center,as soon as you have enough of it in the center grab with a pair of pliers and pull out the broken part, good luck,
the torch won,t damage any other part,

Thanks everyone! It's out. I did take a break because I couldn't get that foolish piece of cup to turn no matter what I tried. Ultimately I backed out the other cup, heated the bottom bracket with a torch and tapped it out from behind from the chainring side. Fun stuff. Now to look for a replacement cup in my dad's stuff...

Back