Okay, who can tell me about German balloon tires?

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

lgrinnings

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 31, 2010
Newburyport, MA
Howdy folks... I now have two bikes from the late 30s that have original tires manufactured in Germany. One pair are Veith Extra Prima (on a 1937 CWC) and the other are Phoenix Harburg Extra Prima (on a 1939 Westfield). They strike me as being nicer than traditional US made tires. They’ve held up remarkably well and they ride super smooth. What’s the deal? Does anyone have experience with prewar German tires? Any info is greatly appreciated.

-Lester

62AE7524-7433-4158-B19D-DDC7827CE89C.jpeg

ccmerz

May 1, 2009
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
Here is a set of NOS Continentals that my LBS gave me some years ago (seen here mounted on Black Hawk rims with wood core). Actually, there were 3 in total. long sold........ The widest whites I have seen. Superb quality construction!
DSC02389.JPG

DSC02390.JPG

DSC02390.JPG

DSC02389.JPG

DSC02390.JPG

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 30, 2006
so cal beaches
Does anyone know roughly when the Continental Tires from Germany were produced...I've owned these from
time to time. Always seemed like high quality !

lgrinnings

Dec 31, 2010
Newburyport, MA
Does anyone know roughly when the Continental Tires from Germany were produced...I've owned these from
time to time. Always seemed like high quality !
My guess is that they’re mid-late 30s prewar. At some point we stopped importing from Germany because of the war. I’m thinking that had they been produced post-war, they’d say West Germany. This is just a hypothesis.

Reactions: manuel rivera

Pedaler

Look Ma, No Hands!
Oct 27, 2010
Dublin, VA, United States
I know this is an older post, but someone a few posts up said the 1937 Indian used German tires originally. Does anyone know what make of tires those bikes came with from the factory and the size? Were they Veith Balloon Cord extra Prima?Size 26x2.00 ?
Thank you,

Reactions: New Mexico Brant

bike

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 26, 2007
Bicycleland
you would think so but I have heard of original bikes with Fisk USA tires on them...I have had some Continental Balloon tires from Germany that a guy bought for his German Indian - 20+ years ago

Reactions: New Mexico Brant
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Archie Sturmer

I live for the CABE
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I believe the Kriegens used Hydrogen in their balloons which was prone explosion.
Herbert Morrison: "oh the humanity... the worst thing I've ever witnessed".

Pedaler

Look Ma, No Hands!
Oct 27, 2010
Dublin, VA, United States
you would think so but I have heard of original bikes with Fisk USA tires on them...I have had some Continental Balloon tires from Germany that a guy bought for his German Indian - 20+ years ago
Ok, thats cool. I have some NOS prewar Veith tires and I was curious and wondering if there was any connection. Thank you "bike"

Pirate of the Plains

Finally riding a big boys bike
Aug 15, 2016
Kansas City
I picked up a Monark the other day that has a pair of Hamburg Phoenix Tires Extra Prima and I’m very impressed with them as well. I’m having a hard time finding any records of sales at all. Usually means either they’re super rare and will fetch a good price to the right person or theres no interest in them and nobody wants them. The first seems more likely in my opinion

Pirate of the Plains

Finally riding a big boys bike
Aug 15, 2016
Kansas City
Luckily Im too young to understand that reference so if your post was meant to have a negative or mocking connotation towards me Im oblivious to it and I prefer it that way so if you have any fresh Eddie Cantor or 3 stooges references you wana bust out feel free. Keep that topical comedy gold coming

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bricycle

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 18, 2009
Chicago area west
I had an Austrian made straightbar JC Higgins that had German tires on it.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!