Okay, who can tell me about German balloon tires?

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

lgrinnings

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 31, 2010
Newburyport, MA
Howdy folks... I now have two bikes from the late 30s that have original tires manufactured in Germany. One pair are Veith Extra Prima (on a 1937 CWC) and the other are Phoenix Harburg Extra Prima (on a 1939 Westfield). They strike me as being nicer than traditional US made tires. They’ve held up remarkably well and they ride super smooth. What’s the deal? Does anyone have experience with prewar German tires? Any info is greatly appreciated.

-Lester

62AE7524-7433-4158-B19D-DDC7827CE89C.jpeg

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 30, 2006
so cal beaches
Does anyone know roughly when the Continental Tires from Germany were produced...I've owned these from
time to time. Always seemed like high quality !

Reactions: lgrinnings

lgrinnings

Dec 31, 2010
Newburyport, MA
Does anyone know roughly when the Continental Tires from Germany were produced...I've owned these from
time to time. Always seemed like high quality !
My guess is that they’re mid-late 30s prewar. At some point we stopped importing from Germany because of the war. I’m thinking that had they been produced post-war, they’d say West Germany. This is just a hypothesis.

Reactions: manuel rivera

Pedaler

Look Ma, No Hands!
Oct 27, 2010
Dublin, VA, United States
I know this is an older post, but someone a few posts up said the 1937 Indian used German tires originally. Does anyone know what make of tires those bikes came with from the factory and the size? Were they Veith Balloon Cord extra Prima?Size 26x2.00 ?
Thank you,

bike

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 26, 2007
Bicycleland
you would think so but I have heard of original bikes with Fisk USA tires on them...I have had some Continental Balloon tires from Germany that a guy bought for his German Indian - 20+ years ago

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Archie Sturmer

Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I believe the Kriegens used Hydrogen in their balloons which was prone explosion.
Herbert Morrison: "oh the humanity... the worst thing I've ever witnessed".

Pedaler

Look Ma, No Hands!
Oct 27, 2010
Dublin, VA, United States
you would think so but I have heard of original bikes with Fisk USA tires on them...I have had some Continental Balloon tires from Germany that a guy bought for his German Indian - 20+ years ago
Ok, thats cool. I have some NOS prewar Veith tires and I was curious and wondering if there was any connection. Thank you "bike"

This ad goes away when you register for an account!