When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okay, who can tell me about German balloon tires?

-

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
Howdy folks... I now have two bikes from the late 30s that have original tires manufactured in Germany. One pair are Veith Extra Prima (on a 1937 CWC) and the other are Phoenix Harburg Extra Prima (on a 1939 Westfield). They strike me as being nicer than traditional US made tires. They’ve held up remarkably well and they ride super smooth. What’s the deal? Does anyone have experience with prewar German tires? Any info is greatly appreciated.

-Lester

62AE7524-7433-4158-B19D-DDC7827CE89C.jpeg

Does anyone know roughly when the Continental Tires from Germany were produced...I've owned these from
time to time. Always seemed like high quality !

My guess is that they’re mid-late 30s prewar. At some point we stopped importing from Germany because of the war. I’m thinking that had they been produced post-war, they’d say West Germany. This is just a hypothesis.

I know this is an older post, but someone a few posts up said the 1937 Indian used German tires originally. Does anyone know what make of tires those bikes came with from the factory and the size? Were they Veith Balloon Cord extra Prima?Size 26x2.00 ?
Thank you,

you would think so but I have heard of original bikes with Fisk USA tires on them...I have had some Continental Balloon tires from Germany that a guy bought for his German Indian - 20+ years ago

Back