When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old 24'' rod bike identificaion

-

nickpap

On Training Wheels
Hello guys

This old road bike was given to me and I want to restore it but I can't identify it so that I can decide how much money to spend on it. Some letters are missing from the brand name (CORT---A) .I found this Dutch brand "Cortina", but the frond badge says the bike was made in West Germany, so I got even more confused. Can anybody help me identify the bike? Also is it worth anything?. Both the front and rear dynamo lights as well as the analog speedometer work flawlessly. Any information or price estimation would be useful.

Thank you!
4.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
1.jpg

-----

you are spot on with the CORTINA name

chainset is a Thun product

gear ensemble Huret/Sachs-Huret

brakes Altenburger

pedals either Union or WECO

hubs likely Union or WECO

both stay bridges ESGE

Huret began date marking their parts in 1978

possible cycle may be late enough for this

look for a four digit number on backside of rear gear mech

first two characters indicate fortnight of year

second two characters indicate year

-----

That was a lesson juvela, well done!

Q for the people with knowledge and skill: why is this a rod bike? I was looking for rod brakes but these look like regular caliper brakes.

-----

note on Cortina name for cycles in the U.S. market -

there was a company based in NYC which began selling skis and ski-related products called Cortina

in 1972-73 they added bicycles which were contract manufactured in Italy

here is one example -

forum posts give information -

text description of frameset i have & response from poster far more knowledgeable -

Mel Pinto Imports (MPI) of Virginia also sold Cortina cycles and accessories. Two products recalled were rollers and car top racks for transporting cycles.

---

Cortina marked wheel lock -

---

so, more Cortinas than just d'Ampezzo ;)

-----

Back