When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old 3-speed JC Higgins help

-
That chain wheel is nice. It should clean up well in an OA bath. The chain guard is typical of Steyr built bikes at that time. Nice find.

UPDATE: Got some new tubes off amazon installed and did a little test ride on the bike. Everything works fine! I had hoped the old tires would be reusable but looks like they are cracking pretty quick. So now that I've had a chance to try the bike out a bit I'm gonna commit. Get new tires, service it real good, clean it up. It was missing the head badge when I got it but I found one right away for super cheap on eBay so snagged it. Missing the front fender and will try to hunt one of those down. Pretty happy. Wasn't looking for a bike. This one found me. I'm in.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your find. Cool bike, love the chain ring. I have a couple JC Higgins 10 speeds that are Austrian made, I really enjoy. I know that 1963 was the last year for the JC Higgins name brand. In 64 they were badged as Sears. Great group of people on this forum, with a wealth of cycling information. Enjoy your ride!

Went for first ride today. Awesome.

One of the pedals is bent. They are mismatched it looks like as well. I'd like to replace them. Pretty much just want some functional pedals that look right on the bike. Suggestions?

-----

Originals would have been either Union or WECO black rubber from Germany.

Union model nr. 685 -

25f7xgw.jpg

WECO model nr. K10479 -

3354chx.jpg

[both manufacturers offer several models]
-----

Last edited:
Got new rubber on the bike finally! Tires, tubes, rim liners, brake pads. Took for a very quick spin. Man what a difference in ride compared to the original old tires that were on it haha. I had planned to replace the pedals as one was bent. I found some like the ones in the comment above. Went to do it and realized the pedal wasn't bent it was the crank (I think). Will have to see what I can do with that one. Oh! got a front badge on it now too! found a slightly jacked up one on eBay for 9.99 shipped. Condition fit the bike so was perfect.
IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

-----

Thanks for the update.

Great to read the good news.

Yes, the photo clearly shows a bent arm.

It would be straightenable by locking the arm in a beefy bench vise and going at it with a big crescent or pipe wrench.

VAR makes a tool for this (big surprise :wink:). It is Nr. 373. Perhaps a bike shop or co-op near you will have it.

2a5zr50.jpg

I have the early type, looks like this -

2s00efk.jpg

Work can be checked with a straightedge.

Possible that impact great enough to bend arm may have bent spindle as well.

So you might wish to check that also.

---

Puch of 1903 -

2gxeljq.jpg

-----

Last edited:
IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

I came across a front fender that looked like it would work on my bike. It didn't fit as good as I thought. So I modified it. Cut it down to size. Moved the bracket arms and cut them down. Found some of the little bolt things with holes to mount them to the bike. Modified those. Opened the fender up wider too. Didn't take as long as it sounds. Ended up working good. Not an exact match but looks good to me and I like having the chrome on there.

Back