When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Automoto? I need help.

-
Are there any markings or names on the saddle? It's not an Automoto badge I'm familiar with, as you say, cloverleaf's are the norm, on badges and sometimes even the headlugs. I'll dig a little deeper.

Update - Thanks especially to Sam and Mr. Monkeyarms. I took the bike out into my garden - here all houses and gardens are surrounded by walls and gates - on a day when the Rufino, the gardener, and Chico, the fix it guy, happened to be around. Chico used to fix bikes here in Panajachel and Rufino, it turns out, owns an antique Raleigh. Both agreed it was probably made between 1960 and 1980 and is what they refer to as a "Raleigh" and was probably made in the US but sold here in Guatemala as everyday transportation. If you are ever here, be aware that "Raleigh" sounds a lot more like "re-al-ech" here. Most of these guys speak Spanish and Mayan, so I think the accent was particularly stong. It sounds like they used to fabricate badges and slap them on to look cool, but that part of the conversation was a bit hard for my level of Spanish. And, they both recommended a "taller de bicicletas" that does good work to get bikes back on the road and for really cheap. They were worried I spent to much - about $110 - but were fine with it once I told them how long I had been looking and that it would sell for more in the United States.

I am definitely an everyday urban cyclist. Why did we lose this style? They are strong and fixable and a really fine ride.

I have some decision to make after I talk to the repair guy tomorrow.

Thanks for contributing to this project. I can't wait to get it on the road.

Are there any markings or names on the saddle? It's not an Automoto badge I'm familiar with, as you say, cloverleaf's are the norm, on badges and sometimes even the headlugs. I'll dig a little deeper.

dnc1 - Thanks for looking, but I think the mystery is solved. It is a fake badge added to a replica sold here in Guatemala between the 60s and the 80s. I posted more below. I am trying to keep you out of the wormhole of badges.

And, this is how Guatemala works. The internet is far less useful than finding the right people with information.

The English roadster style of bike is still very common around Boston, though they usually have 3-speed hubs and cable brakes. They are extremely robust as testament to there being so many even after decades being largely taken for granted by generations of college kids in New England winters.

Thanks for clarifying matters @ingrid240.
I wonder what other 'fakes' are circulating in that part of the world?
I'm sure you’ll enjoy that bicycle, that style of English 'roadster' is certainly a relaxed, resilient ride, if a little heavy up hill! Lol.

Back