When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Automoto? I need help.

-

ingrid240

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I am brand new to The CABE and I really appreciate finding this resource.

Last week I purchased this bike in Antigua, Guatemala.

It has "Automoto" on the head badge, but I can not find another like this one on the internet. From the photo you will see that it also has an eagle and "BEN" and "ROSS" at the bottom.

No clovers to be found. And, the front fork does not have the usual round holes for the clover inserts, but those may have come on later models.

It is in solid condition mechanically, but rusty and really dirty. My plan is to restore it to street-worthy condition (new paint, chain, tires, and, a lot of cleaning and rubbing, and some mechanical fixes).

I have been searching for such a bike for years while on vacation here in Guatemala and after quite a lot of bad Spanish, a bus ride, two tuk tuk rides, and some luck I found my bike.

My questions:

1. Do you think it is an Automoto? If so, what's the deal with the head badge?
2. Any guesses on the age?
3. Any advice for restoring it and to what level?

Again, right now, I am not very motivated to immediately go back to original condition and parts. I would like to be a beautiful bike I can ride around town and then continue to accumulate original parts.

Anyway, thanks for letting me borrow from the collective wisdom here.

Mike

IMG_2581.JPG
IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2588.JPG
IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2592.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

Cool bike. Personally I wouldn’t paint it. I would probably clean it and use some very fine steel wool with WD40 to knock down some of the grime. Then you could put a good wax on it to put some life into it. Not clear coat spray paint. I would grease it up and get it riding smoothly, and enjoy. Look around at some of the original bikes from this ere. Even if it’s missing some paint and has a nice patina, it’s original and cool. Just my thoughts. Welcome to the CABE, enjoy.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am driving my wife crazy by debating the paint or not paint dilemma. After I learn all of the bike-related Spanish I need, I will have tires and all bearings greased. I think I'll have it on the road in a week or two. I need some time to refurbish the seat, but I'll find one in the meantime.

Cool bike. Personally I wouldn’t paint it. I would probably clean it and use some very fine steel wool with WD40 to knock down some of the grime. Then you could put a good wax on it to put some life into it. Not clear coat spray paint. I would grease it up and get it riding smoothly, and enjoy. Look around at some of the original bikes from this ere. Even if it’s missing some paint and has a nice patina, it’s original and cool. Just my thoughts. Welcome to the CABE, enjoy.
for

No repaint. Takes away the history it's earned. Old cliche says: it's only original once. Have fun no matter your choice. p.s. Love the rake and stance of it, very cool.

You have a rod brake roadster---they were made world wide. This one looks to be European made meading it may have been made in England/france/Italy. Many were made in India and also in Mexico. They were generally made up until the early 80s and it's almost impossible to tell by the frame the year they were built, on the other hand it looks very well made and they are getting harder to find. you made a good find and they are great bikes to "rebuilt and fun to ride"

Ths type of bike were copied by just about every manufacturer around the workd. Very utilitarian and popular to countries that use bicycles as their main transportation. You may be able to find tires and brake pads in your area easier than in the U.S. Being a single speed bike, a simple overhaul should have you rolling easy enough. Enjoy!

Everyone - Thanks for the replies. I really love this bike and I plan to get it rolling before I head home to the States next summer. This style was common and is now very hard to find in Guatemala. But, I think Mr. Monkeyarms is right, I can find parts easier here. There is a bike collectors culture here, but getting in as an outsider is a bit hard. I do have a connection to an older guy who collects antique bikes and I might see if he'd be willing to make some trades. Later, in a few months, I'll post an update.

Check out Monkey Bike Shop or Antigua Bike Co-Op. Looks like they have modern stuff, do a lot of tours. If they don't have or can get what you need, maybe they know where to go. Good luck with your project!

Back