When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Bicycles have spoiled me with Craftsmanship unheard of today!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This is true with all items. I will never forget the day I purchased my first house over 20 years ago, as a house warming present my dad gave me his old lawnmower, and purchased a new one for himself. (The one he gave me lasted longer than his next two).

When I moved into my second 1940's era house it came equiped with two garage door openers. Shortly after moving in one went out and I replaced it with a new one. The new one has already broke and has been replaced, the other original one that came with the house is still working. When I took the new broken one apart to see what was wrong, I was shocked to see stripped out plastic gears.

Products made today are only designed to outlast there warranty period. Products made back then were made to last longer than you.

I garbage picked parts to make one in the 1970's (3.5 hp briggs)... I kept it into the 1980's and sold her about 1988 for $50.00 (still started first pull) and I bought a brand new (returned, due to too fast for a 70 yr old fella) High end 2 smoke 4 h.p. Lawn Boy (gallon tank, zerk fitting on all 4 wheels, self propelled, brush guard/cow catcher) retail $549.00 I got for $349.00. I used that for 7 years and sat the old girl at the curb, cause I could NOT do maintenance on her (blade WOULD NOT come off to service the exhaust (clean out carbon). I then bought a used circa 1990 Craftsman 6.5 hp. push mower $150.00, which still starts first pull every spring.

I hear ya. Ever done this to a coaster brake driver? I hadn't until a few weeks ago. This was off of a china made coaster brake. They don't make them like they used to.

IMG_0665.JPG

my favorite "they don't make them like they used to" is electric fans for the house. I have two antique fans I have had for 30 years or so, they both work great. I saw one in an old catalog, it was from 1934. the other is probably close in age. one of them stopped working and I took my air hose and blew the dust out of the insides and it hasn't missed a beat since. in recent years I have bought two "Vornado" fans that work great until they don't. these are like 70 bucks! the last couple fans I got were the 15.00 ones at WalMart. they lasted just as long as the expensive ones, but I expected them to not last more than two years.

I think bicycles are the exception to this rule. there is not a bike made say pre 1970 that could take the abuse I used to give my 1996 $700.00 mountain bike. I ride like an old man now, it will be were long after I am gone

Precisely why when im at garage sales/estate sales i head straight for the tool area to shop for old quality USA made tool sets and loose ones ....because i know they have made it through some couple generations and they will last a few after me....and on a good day they can be had at great prices.

My first foreign car 1979 (Mitsubishi made Colt) tranny lasted until a week after my warranty ran out (but 500 less than my mileage allowance), luckily they covered it.

I also kind of had one of those, but often forget about it. (it was never officially mine, and belonged to my dad).

It was my first car I was allowed to drive, and it did not last very long. A dog ran across the street and i swerved to miss it and ended up totaling the car against a concrete wall on the side of the road. If I was a more experienced driver, the accident probably could have been avoided. The cops did not believe me, but luckily another driver stopped behind me and verified the story.

In a weird twist of fate, that driver ended up being my first college roommate despite living a few towns over.

After that accident, I had to wait another year or so, and eventually picked up a dart swinger. This started a life long passion with cars from that era. I have always had a vintage car since that first one.

In another weird twist of fate, my second college roommate now lives three blocks from a cabin my family purchased about a hour south of where I grew up about 20 years later. It's sometimes weird how small this world could be. The neighbor to that cabin, is also related to my moms brothers first wife.

Last edited:
old fridges last forever...lousy on electricity, but they work!

You ain't lyin. I have a freezer that's over 60 years old and still works perfectly. It really sucks up the watts though. I know this because when I have a power outage, it can be the only thing attached to my 2300 watt generator when it's running or the generator will die :).

Back