When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old bike in Africa

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Tour De Luxe

Finally riding a big boys bike
Ok, so this is likely a copyright photo since in a Rolex advertisement. Perhaps giving a shout out to Rolex makes it ok. I have my Dad’s old 1946 Bubbleback in a drawer somewhere; still runs, but the face has a bit too much patina to have any real value.

I thought this old bike in Africa was fascinating. It probably won’t be high enough resolution to see, but the brake levers appear to be connected to rods rather than cables. Love the patina on this bike and it is obviously a strong frame!

It's a rod brake roadster. They usually have 28 inch wheels, rod brakes, slack frames. They originated with the British, and the date I usually see cited for what we know today as the "DL-1, Model 1" or that basic pattern of bike is about 1910-1914 time range, but it's never been clear to me when exactly you would say the "modern" diamond frame rod brake roadster begins. It was certainly very early on compared to other bicycles made today. They have been made for over 100 years now.

They are still made and ridden everyday today in places like India, Pakistan, and China. They also still are used on a daily basis in places like Britain, the Netherlands, and Denmark, where there has long been a tradition with these bikes. If you were to take the basic 28 inch wheel rod brake roadster as one type of bicycle, it is probably the most-produced, most-ridden bicycle in human history.

They have the advantage of being mechanically very simple and very robust. The rod brake systems need occasional adjustment but not a whole lot in maintenance. I think of these as the Model T touring car of bicycles in that they were simple, affordable, reliable transportation for regular people in the very early part of the 20th century, onward. They can have single speed hubs, 3-speed hubs, and some custom models have even more speeds.

They're also unlike many other bicycles you find, given the wheel size, frame angles, and the way they handle. If you like long, stable bicycles, you'll probably like riding one. They are not "snappy" handling the way a 10-speed or even a regular "Sports" model would be. Globally speaking, it's probably the most significant style of bicycle made over the past 100 years. Millions and millions of people have ridden (and many still ride) these bikes as their way of getting to work, moving goods, visiting friends and family, etc. It was, and often still is, "the family car" of sorts for many people around the world.

20190726_182256.jpg

20191013_122024.jpg

20160828_170822.jpg

Last edited:
It’s funny how things show up at the same time. I follow the GCN app, which is a British based internet show. They are running a documentary on WW1, called “War on Two Wheels” and the bikes being used by the British soldiers are just like the one still in use in that African village.

These bikes are still being made (unchanged since the end of the 1890's) in there thousands in India and China.

It depends on what part of Africa it is. The best guess is that it was a Raleigh made for export or a Chinese roadster. Neither are worth the effort lol

For moving people and their stuff, the bicycle in this configuration is the greatest creation in the history of civilization. I won’t say invented because of the many small inventions that make up a bike: ball bearing surfaces, roller chains, tangentially spoked wheels, multi-speed internal hubs, etc.
Like others have said the bike; a Raleigh based on the R on the lamp bracket and indented round fork crown inserts, it has little to no actual value, but in telling the storyline of these bikes, it’s priceless. Undeveloped countries critically depend on these bikes to survive, and they will not let you down, save for the massive PITA of fixing a flatted rear tire.
England’s postwar economy depended on these bikes to shuttle workers to rebuild the bombed out factories and infrastructure.
many people look down on these deceptively simple and antiquated bikes, but for many outside the US they are essential; literally like cars are to us. Here is a picture of my 1974 Raleigh Tourist rode hard and put up wet, but still rideable after decades of neglect. Same iconic design as your original picture, surviving the test of time and ready for more. If you get a chance to ride one you will be impressed with how nicely it rides, and sometimes stops, depending on how well the rod brakes have been attended to. Thanks for sharing!

Ok, so this is likely a copyright photo since in a Rolex advertisement. Perhaps giving a shout out to Rolex makes it ok. I have my Dad’s old 1946 Bubbleback in a drawer somewhere; still runs, but the face has a bit too much patina to have any real value.

View attachment 1405945

I thought this old bike in Africa was fascinating. It probably won’t be high enough resolution to see, but the brake levers appear to be connected to rods rather than cables. Love the patina on this bike and it is obviously a strong frame!
How would she mount it with the wood?

Jimbo, thanks for your perspective on the old rod-brake bikes. I’m a big fan of steel bikes and ride my 1984 Le Tour Luxe hundreds of miles per month. I wonder how many carbon bikes will survive 30-40 years of use. Can you imagine stacking 100# of wood on the back of a Pinarello Dogma?

The new bike snobs love to point out that the new carbon wonder-bikes with their 16# weight or the latest aero tube profile saves this many watts over a standard bike, but the fact is that the major improvement in speeds and performance in the Tour races can be attributed to better or stronger athletes. Comparing the average speed of the Tour de France in 1900 to 2020 shows about a 48% improvement. Impressive, but Lance Armstrong was faster 15 years ago on lower technology bikes, but perhaps higher technology drugs!

The Tour speed increase is nearly the same as in the 26 mile running marathon where the winner in 1900 was about 3 hours, but is now approaching 2 hours. Is it because of better running shoes or better athletes?

Back to my 1984 Schwinn. I can average 19 mph on a typical 20 mile course near my house, but on the same course on a 2010 Specialized TT bike, which weighs 6 lbs less and has an aero frame with a 10 speed 105 derailleur vs the 6 speed Suntour on the touring Schwinn, I’m only about 1/2 mph faster. Certainly, important in the context of a triathlon finish, but the old Schwinn gives a much nicer ride on the potholed streets for day-to-day riding.

Back