When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old boy needs a date!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Red

'Lil Knee Scuffer
So, this old men’s bike followed my home last summer.
I have dearly wanted a single speed Raliegh for years. I already have a 1960 ladies three speed. At $25 his price was right! I got it at the local Salvation Army, of all places.
The number on the bottom bracket is no help at all. I think the Canadian might put it in the Seventies but the headbadge seems a bit earlier. It’s made in Nottingham.
So, anyone want to “date” my old man?!

57BA071C-D41C-46E2-B065-EAC1A84E9057.jpeg

I don't know much about Raleigh's but I find it hard to believe they were still using that type of frame building in the 70's. The seat and chain stays along with the rear fork look prewar style and I have no idea when they finally joined the 20th century. ;)

It appears that the non-drive side crank arm is improperly mounted as it isn't at a 180 from the drive side.

-----

1954 Raleigh of Canada catalogue page -

chainset is Nicklin

offer "Old boy" a medjool, me fave variety -

-----

Last edited:
28” wheel bikes had that frame until they quit building them, and tore down the factory, early to mid 1980s. There are no anti rotation washers on those bikes, the frame won’t let the axle rotate.
The rear hub should be a Sturmey Archer SC, and it appears the bike still has its 28 X 1 1/2” wheels, and there will be a date code stamped into it, usually. The SC is a Perry B100 in disguise, except it is modified to use Sturmey rear sprockets. Good little hub.
Ted

The hub is no darn help!
Yes, it’s got 28x11/2 in it.
I sure would love it to be Fifties!
Thank you for the help!
Now I’m craving a date...

-----

@dnc1

-----

I posted some pictures of a camel-back Robin Hood on the second page of this thread:
And the seat stays are welded or brazed, not bolted on, and the lugs are different. The Robin Hood is early '60's so I think @GTs58 is right, with that frame construction, yours must be older.

Hahaha @juvela.
Love a medjool myself, food of the gods; apparently you can survive on 5 of those a day, plus water!
Struggling to find any further info on this beyond what's already been said.
The catalogue image already posted gives a rough starting date for this models production and I think it could feasibly have been available right through the 1960's.
Steve's excellent article on Resilion products (referenced above) doesn't shed much light on the hub shown, beyond the fact that they were taken over by Phillips at some point in the 1950's.

The handlebars have obviously been flipped over at some point for that 'path-racer' look.
I love singlespeed bikes. Simple, easy to fettle and fun to ride.
Further digging required.

Last edited:
There is an old thread here on The Cabe......

Info on other forums seems to be limited to bikes from the mid to late 1950's for this model, but it seems that other 'badge-engineered' versions were available; probably from all of the Raleigh owned marques.

Back