When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Cantilever Frame ID

-

Schwinny

I live for the CABE
Hiya !
Im stripping down an old cantilever frame with a standing seat stay, and as I go to pull the head badge I notice it has no screws. Its held on with double sided tape and there is a badge hole above and below this applied badge. I thought this was a 61' at first but then I realized there was one too few numbers in the serial number for that. D19004.
It also is the one Cantilever frame I have with this lower rear fender bridge. Too bad its been powder coated orange. Im going to change that.
Im used to 60's bikes, and offhand and at first glance I thought it was April 1961.
Then I go look it up and it shows two dates, 52' or 57'
So the question really is... can I pin it down with the head badge screw measurement? I seem to remember a change to the smaller headbadge in the 50's/60's
This one has a 3-1/4" measurement. Also, can we tell by the frame makeup (lower fender bridge) what kind of bike this was...ish? Considering the time frame for the built in kickstand, Im inclined to go with 52' but I dunno.
I looked for similar threads, but they were discussing the differences in the smaller, earlier badges measurements.

Hiya !
Im stripping down an old cantilever frame with a standing seat stay, and as I go to pull the head badge I notice it has no screws. Its held on with double sided tape and there is a badge hole above and below this applied badge. I thought this was a 61' at first but then I realized there was one too few numbers in the serial number for that. D19004.
It also is the one Cantilever frame I have with this lower rear fender bridge. Too bad its been powder coated orange. Im going to change that.
Im used to 60's bikes, and offhand and at first glance I thought it was April 1961.
Then I go look it up and it shows two dates, 52' or 57'
So the question really is... can I pin it down with the head badge screw measurement? I seem to remember a change to the smaller headbadge in the 50's/60's
This one has a 3-1/4" measurement. Also, can we tell by the frame makeup (lower fender bridge) what kind of bike this was...ish? Considering the time frame for the built in kickstand, Im inclined to go with 52' but I dunno.
I looked for similar threads, but they were discussing the differences in the smaller, earlier badges measurements.

View attachment 1411580

Then only cantilever in "52 was the phantom no brake bridge. "57 however you have a bunch of bikes with rear caliper. I would think 1957. My 1959 Corvette has larger head badge.

I'm going with 1957 also. Interesting "Do it herself" lower fender bracket. The fenders were mounted to a tab welded on the kickstand tubes. It's also been rumored that the 57's had an issue with the stand tubes breaking off so maybe that's been repaired also. Or maybe it was a Flying Star frame that I believe came with a bolted on stand. JFYI, the head badge went to small oval on the 1961 models.

I'm going with 1957 also. Interesting "Do it herself" lower fender bracket. The fenders were mounted to a tab welded on the kickstand tubes. It's also been rumored that the 57's had an issue with the stand tubes breaking off so maybe that's been repaired also. Or maybe it was a Flying Star frame that I believe came with a bolted on stand. JFYI, the head badge went to small oval on the 1961 models.
Its funny you say that because that is a weird thing I noticed. There are some messy welds in that area around that lower brace and the stand tube has a gnarl like a broken spot weld, right where the lower fender bracket should be. Its like the bracket was there and someone removed it. The tube is welded to the frame sloppily but the last one I stripped and painted, the tube was brazed on.
No issues now though, its been sanded, welds cleaned up, and painted green. I'm going to turn most of these dead frames into generic unbranded bikes but I may order a few decals for this one. I started off thinking this was going to be a pig bike but now Im thinking maybe a Resto-mod would be better.

Back