When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OLd Chain Questions

-

hwstem

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a Columbia tandem from 1897 and want to take the wheels off to get it out of the attic that it ia in the. Stairway has a 90 degree turn and it will not fit with wheels. 50 years ago when it was put up there the attic had a differnt entrance. What I was wondering is is will a modern chain tool work on chainfrom 1897? If not were can I get a chain tool that will work?

You may not need to remove the chain that way to remove the rear wheel. If the rear wheel dropouts have chain tension adjusters, then loosen those first and you may be able to remove the chain from the sprocket and the remove the wheel. And/or some old chains have a master link, look for that. If if is block chain, most block chain cannot be taken apart with a chain tool as the end of the pins are peened.

You might get lucky and find a repaired area of the chain, my 1989 Davis had a tiny bolt/nut in place of a pin. Someone must have done a shade tree repair at some point. Good Luck nonetheless!

My bike has a screw with a nut on it, on both chains that will not come apart I have tried WD-40, PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench. Would drilling the screw out be a terrible idea?

Try heat---like the flame on a gas stove ---a friend was told to do this to remove nipples from old spokes---worked great for him.

Back