When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Continentals, what do I do with them.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I believe it is opal violet. I thought it was maroon at first too but once the grease and grime was washed off it, it definitely seemed a little more purple. I have one other question for you. I also own a blue 47 continental based on the fact that the three speed hub is dated 47 and I know the bike was completely original because it was purchased from the original owners family. That serial number is A01007. So are A’s and D’s 47? Or could it be that they just used a “A” bottom bracket that didn’t get used until 47? Thanks for the input

The postwar A serials were used in 1946, for the most part. No way of really telling when the frame was built or the bike was built.

I simply have to commend your work restoring a depth and luster to that 70+ year old paint. Well done! Any secrets you are willing to share?

I simply have to commend your work restoring a depth and luster to that 70+ year old paint. Well done! Any secrets you are willing to share?
Thank you. My go to cleaner/polish is flitz. I have been using it for many years. It really has no grit to it but yet it will remove a very thin layer and leave an amazing shine. You do need to be careful, especially on paint that is already thin or paint that is already starting to show its undercoat. But, I typically always use flitz on the paint and chrome. It takes a lot of elbow grease but it’s worth it. I have bikes that I have done 15+ years ago and the paint has remained just as shiny. Sometimes I will use a spray wax to maintain the bikes after I have gone through the flitz process.

Well, finally got it as done as I can get it. Rear rim and 3 speed are wrong but it is rideable. The shifter handle was broken off but I was able to make a similar looking one from a piece of bar stock and some basic tools. It’s not perfect but it came a long way from what it was. Bottom pics are how it all started

Back