When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Continentals, what do I do with them.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thats a sidewinder fork! It’s great for gravel and hard pack dirt trails! I love it and ride it more than most!
I wouldn't think this would upset too many people. If it does, tell them to take a look at an early '80's Schwinn Sidewinder. If it was good enough for Schwinn

i like both of them the violet is somthing you do not see everyday ,i would say there equally great !

Hi how are you I have a continental 1952 I need parts for my model I need the gooseneck and freewheels any help here pictures price and condition

I'm late to the Continental show. Here's mine. I paid $25 for this at a bike shop. The bridge was broken and I brazed in a new one. It's one of the tallest frames Schwinn ever made. You need a ladder to get on the thing. I have a 36" inseam and can't raise the seat at all. A great rider. Gary

DSC02713.JPG

DSC02712.JPG

Different bike entirely. The later Continental was electroforged and had the upgrade of a conventional tube fork versus the forked flat fork of the Varsity, usually with 27 x 1 1/4 rims. The earlier Continentals were closer to the top of the line with fillet brazed frames and usually the stainless S6 rims at ISO 597mm. Either one can be good riders, though they are often confused because of the same name.

You may want to renew your Want ad in the classifieds. What parts specifically are you looking for? I have some stuff left over from when I was working on and riding the early Continentals a few years ago.

Last edited:
I have a 74 and a 79 ..... but components... they seem to cross over... what are you looking for....continental is kinda like the chevy suburban... been around the block! And tons of components cross over! If your a purist..,, I can’t help.., unless you want ... brakes and and pads and center pull red dot brakes and the like!

Different bike entirely. The later Continental was electroforged and had the upgrade of a conventional tube fork versus the forked flat fork of the Varsity, usually with 27 x 1 1/4 rims. The earlier Continentals were closer to the top of the line with fillet brazed frames and usually the stainless S6 rims at ISO 597mm. Either one can be good riders, though they are often confused because of the same name.

The OP-related brazed Contis are just awesome. I've enjoyed owning and refurbishing a couple over the years, one original, one 'resto mod'. The details are so cool- everything from the graphics, to the thickly chromed cottered cranks and brakes, to the combo chromed/alloy 2 piece stem!

The OP-related brazed Contis are just awesome. I've enjoyed owning and refurbishing a couple over the years, one original, one 'resto mod'. The details are so cool- everything from the graphics, to the thickly chromed cottered cranks and brakes, to the combo chromed/alloy 2 piece stem!

They're great bikes. I've always wanted a 23 inch/tall frame variation. I had a couple that were standard 21 inch frames. I'm down to a 1947 New World and a 1960s Schwinn Racer now. I sold my Continentals off, as I did my pre-war New Worlds. The 1947 New World is a sentimental favorite of mine, and the Racer is a tall frame.

Those old Continentals from the 1940s-50s are great bikes. The one thing I have noticed with them is that they sometimes develop stress cracks in the brazing joints where the seat stays meet the seat tube. Otherwise, they're beautiful, smooth frames. I love how they have the "seamless" look where the tubes join.

Back