When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Continentals, what do I do with them.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Forgot to mention - the no date hub is not unusual to find on AW hubs from right before and right after WWII. Why some got dates and others did not, I am not sure.

Perhaps it's a case of using up parts on-hand right after WWII and applying the Continental decal before the Continental model was standardized with the more familiar parts we are used to seeing. It has parts on it from a variety of models.
If that is the case that would make this a really unique continental.

I definitely appreciate all of the info so far. I am proud to own it and will definitely do a very careful cleanup. If anyone has more info or happens to stumble on something similar, I would love to hear about it. Some of these lightweights have such a cool history and seem so unique at times. Thanks again guys

The only other thing I could think of is if it was just something someone ordered that way. Maybe they liked that set of parts better than the alternatives (?). But it doesn't look to me like something that was just parted together aftermarket. It looks to me like either an early Continental using up a mixture of existing parts in-stock, or else something someone special ordered to have those features. Either way, it's a good find. If I had to guess, I'd say early Continental from before everything was standardized.

Nice find, and interesting demonstration of a transitional early Continental. Here are pics from my archives of a similar one with similar features (not mine). Do not have a picture of the serial number. The oddest feature of both is the fork....the crown is like a Superior and normal early Continental, but the cruder crimped tips are like a New World...it is suggestive of the fork on the second generation Superior, which didn't come out until 1949. I think the 1947 ad that has been posted could be interpreted as not announcing the 'initiation' of the Continental, but of a 'new and improved' version of the Continental...and it makes some specific points about the improved fork, fenders and paint, etc...

!Bliv0mQBmk~$(KGrHqEOKjMEtkmpgdN0BLcF2Eo1+g~~_3.JPG

!BlivswQB2k~$(KGrHqEOKjEEtqPgfsd-BLcF1wL5H!~~_3.JPG

!BlivO7QBWk~$(KGrHqMOKj0EtDhRNicmBLcF0efcKQ~~_3.JPG

!BlivHjQBmk~$(KGrHqQOKkIEtlS2hq8mBLcF0KFpEQ~~_3.JPG

Nice find, and interesting demonstration of a transitional early Continental. Here are pics from my archives of a similar one with similar features (not mine). Do not have a picture of the serial number. The oddest feature of both is the fork....the crown is like a Superior and normal early Continental, but the cruder crimped tips are like a New World...it is suggestive of the fork on the second generation Superior, which didn't come out until 1949. I think the 1947 ad that has been posted could be interpreted as not announcing the 'initiation' of the Continental, but of a 'new and improved' version of the Continental...and it makes some specific points about the improved fork, fenders and paint, etc...
^^^ wow ^^^
thanks for posting this!
🤩

@ccdc.1 solved it. He showed me a catalog image of this model earlier and I was wondering why I hadn't seen this before. I have seen this catalog before posted here, and I assumed it was complete...but it now looks like the posted catalog is incomplete! What is strange is that all pages are there except the lightweight one!

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 3.39.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 3.39.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 3.39.35 PM.png

Back