When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Continentals, what do I do with them.

-
I have a brochure from the mid 40s time period (don't know exact year, assumed 1946). I guess I glanced over it because I thought these were NWs. I don't think I have seen a tandem with that guard type.

IMG_2066 2.jpg
IMG_2067.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 5.31.09 PM.png

Very interesting @rennfaron ! So now the question is, What's What? All the 1946 images of the movie stars on 1946? Continentals are actually 1947 model images? And that T&C tandem has a guard that is not shown on the 1945 image, but the fender stays do look painted.

1627341279386.png

Great find, those "Continental" models have the New World/Superior style look to them. My blue Continental was a 1947 model. I've never owned a "1945" or "1946" Continental.

Well folks, hoping someone could shed some light on this mystery continental that I picked up. Or, if there is another thread for these, please let me know. This continental has a decal set that I have never saw before on one of these. The painted fenders is also an oddity as well as the a s & co sprocket. Has a pencil stand and a non dated three speed. Rims are chrome, not stainless. I know the bars and grips are wrong. Seems like it would fall in line as a first year continental but I was wondering if anyone has spotted this style decal on a continental before, especially the down tube decal? A very gentle refurbishing is in order but it’s going to be awhile before I get to it. Can’t wait, I think it’s a pretty odd duck. Reminds me more of a superior than a continental. View attachment 1452257

View attachment 1452256

View attachment 1452258

View attachment 1452259

View attachment 1452260

View attachment 1452261
@Jim sciano, if you get the chance, could you post some close-ups of the rims? I'm curious to see if they're any different than the ones from the early '50's. The 1946 catalog posted here (post #70) just says "RIMS: New Schwinn".

They look the same to me. Looks like they have the better chroming process compared to some of the 50’s rims that dulled out easily.

They look the same to me. Looks like they have the better chroming process compared to some of the 50’s rims that dulled out easily. View attachment 1453859
View attachment 1453860

View attachment 1453861
Interesting! I've got '55 and '53 Travelers, the '55 has a straight knurl like yours, but the '53 has a diamond knurl, which I expected yours might be. But while yours looks kind of like the '55, the lines on yours look different somehow, and the stainless rims don't have any knurling at all. All I can guess is that they were trying different variations over the years. These are the rims on the Travelers, see what you think.

IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3524.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting! I've got '55 and '53 Travelers, the '55 has a straight knurl like yours, but the '53 has a diamond knurl, which I expected yours might be. But while yours looks kind of like the '55, the lines on yours look different somehow, and the stainless rims don't have any knurling at all. All I can guess is that they were trying different variations over the years. These are the rims on the Travelers, see what you think.

View attachment 1453882

View attachment 1453883

View attachment 1453884
Definitely different tooling on the feeding rollers. Straight single cut teeth and double cross cut diagonal teeth. 😎

Last edited:
Opal green looks mighty nice on a three speed.

I wish they had stuck to the S6 rims, either chrome or stainless. The somewhat later S5 is an interesting rim, but the whole purpose of the shape was so Raleigh could accommodate rod or cable brakes with a single production rim. Schwinn never made a rod brake roadster to my knowledge, so the S6 would be the better choice.

Back