When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Elgin Indentification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Wayne Connelly

On Training Wheels
I am working on refurbishing an Elgin and would like to properly identify model and year. Head badge, serial number photos attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_2020.JPG
IMG_2744 2.JPG
IMG_2861 2.JPG

Murray built Elgin curved seat tube 40-41. Very nice man!!! If you have the OG rear wheel with Musselman hub, you will find a letter with a symbol. I'll see if I can find you a link to date it.

I have the same bike and what rollfaster said is correct...the curved seat tube sets the earlier date and no later than 41 as these bike shed a lot of the sheet metal in '42 in conserving for the war effort.
All original except the tires maybe and don't know the exact color combo, but it's dulce de leche to me.
These were available through Sears Roebuck catalogue and retail strictly if you didn't know.
Chris
elgin brown.jpg

I have the same bike and what rollfaster said is correct...the curved seat tube sets the earlier date and no later than 41 as these bike shed a lot of the sheet metal in '42 in conserving for the war effort.
All original except the tires maybe and don't know the exact color combo, but it's dulce de leche to me.
These were available through Sears Roebuck catalogue and retail strictly if you didn't know.
Chris
View attachment 357640
Thanks for the quick response. The MOD code makes mine a 1939. I got this bike at a yard sale and the only missing piece is the rear reflector. Could you send me a photo of yours so I know what on looks like? Any idea on where to source?

Chris
View attachment 357640
Murray built Elgin curved seat tube 40-41. Very nice man!!! If you have the OG rear wheel with Musselman hub, you will find a letter with a symbol. I'll see if I can find you a link to date it.
Rear hub has a "G" and a diamond per the attached photo
Rear hub.JPG

Back