When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Elgin Indentification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Rear hub has a "G" and a diamond per the attached photoView attachment 357855

I would assume G would be 41

image.jpeg

Where in Jersey are you? I'm in eastern PA. Would LOVE to own this bike, perhaps trade for it?

Thanks for the quick response. The MOD code makes mine a 1939. I got this bike at a yard sale and the only missing piece is the rear reflector. Could you send me a photo of yours so I know what on looks like? Any idea on where to source?
With a curved down tube, I would have put a date as previously stated by scrubbinrims and roll faster….as a 1940-1941. The 1939 and older had a straight down tube.

With a curved down tube, I would have put a date as previously stated by scrubbinrims and roll faster….as a 1940-1941. The 1939 and older had a straight down tube.
38-39 also had a curved down tube model as did 40 - 41.

The simple way to tell them apart is from the chain guard mount.
38-39 the guard mounted to the chain stay with a clamp.
40-41 the guard screws to the seat stay, there is a tapped screw hole in the seat stay that is not on the early models, also on the 40-41 models the rear hub brackets are about 3/4" larger in diameter.

you can see the difference in the models in these photos.

Also, I realize the og poster is long gone.

E7C5756E-94FA-4006-AF5F-442703531E0D.jpeg

E823885B-C3B3-4399-867E-271149FEE01A.jpeg

My 39 does not have the hole.
1647221406644.png

my old 41 did.

Elgin prewar.jpg

The original poster’s bike may be thought to be a 1940–SE, with “E” being the 5th letter and 1940 being the 5th year of Murray bicycle production, (courtesy of ABC-Services serial numbers for Western Auto).

Back