When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old frame with nice chainwheel

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesper

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Again, I am trying to assist someone who has an interesting frame they need ID'd. Owner assumes 1910s-20s. I have no idea. Probably need more photos/info than what I have so I will ask for some more if required. 60t chainwheel! Pretty massive cog for a single speed roadster.

Last edited:
Could've been used with one of those large rear sprockets, like the 'Marathon' system available back then. Designed to minimise and reduce wear on chains.
...but not minimize and reduce wear on the body! I cannot imagine having to climb even a modest hill with that configuration. Looks like the rear cog is 18t-20t. I have ridden a race bike with up to 55t and never got into my high gears which were 12-14t. Good muscle builder though.

Assuming a 28 inch wheel with 40 mm tyre,
60 x 18 = 92.43 inch gear
60 x 20 = 83.27 inch gear
Which is quite a push if you stray off of the flat.
My Rochester is close to the upper gear above and it certainly makes my knees hurt these days!

Are those old repairs on the top and down tubes, a few inches back from the headtube?
You may wish to check on the pedal threads, (size and whether metric/imperial) to help determine place of origin.
I agree that slack geometry does have a French look to it, a comfortable ride.

Appears European......
Here is my Gerbi (mid 30s, Italian) I recently picked up. Showing just as a comparison to the unknown frame set. Much tighter geometry, but more of a racer than cruiser/roadster. I at first thought it to be something in the Raleigh department, but from what I have seen they are lugged similar to the Gerbi, albeit somewhat more like the "unknown" frame's geometry. If it's European, I'd go more to the English build or as previously mentioned French; but just guesses on my part.

Very nice 'Gerbi', I look forward to seeing that built up!
The thing that suggested French to me was the lugless construction. Very uncommon on English bicycles of that era, but not uncommon on French and American built bikes.
Also the crank construction looks far more mainland Europe than anything English.
Again, thread pitch and dimensions may be key.

Back